Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DasaAppalasawmy
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will upgrading RAM void my hp laptop warranty?

Hp notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My laptop is under warranty(got 2yrs left) and I want to upgrade its ram. It is currently 4gb, and i want to upgrade to 8gb. However, it is a new hp model and the ram is behind the keyboard. So a lot of dissassembling has to be done. How can I upgrade without voiding the warranty? Should I take it to the shop I bought it and ask them to upgrade it? What is the solution to upgrade ans keep warranty intact?
7 REPLIES 7
Level 17
Level 17
41,606 41,391 6,550 11,399
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could we have the model number? 

0 Kudos
DasaAppalasawmy
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Product name : Hp Notebook
Peoduct number : K3E64EA#BH5
0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

15-ac104nia is the model. 

Technically, the memory is non-customer upgradeable. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Memory upgrade requires removal of the back panel and it is not necessary to remove the motherboard. We cannot speak for HP so the best I can tell you is that HP could void the warranty if you open the back panel. Odds are they will not as long as the job is done well and no damage results. If it were my laptop I would not hesitate to open the back panel and upgrade the memory. 

We here at the Forum have tried to get a more definitive statement on this from HP, but for now that is the best we can do. 

0 Kudos
Shiawase
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

14-ar002TU  Can you please help me also on the same subject.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please start your own thread. I can say I have not officially received any definitive statement but have been advised by a "highly placed source" who shall not be identified that your warranty is safe if you do the memory upgrade without damage to the computer. 

0 Kudos
Shiawase
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much. 

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,650
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> 14-ar002TU  Can you please help me also on the same subject.

Please start your own thread.

However, first use the Windows "Task Manager" and "Process Monitor" tools to see if your computer is using all of the current RAM.  If not, then spending money to add RAM that will be "superfluous" is a waste (of beer-money).  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation