Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop - 15t-eb100 touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm considering the purchase of a new Spectre x360 laptop, but in the customization options there are no memory options. The only available option is 16GB. I know for a fact that the system is physically capable of supporting up to 64GB and my requirement is for a minimum of 32GB RAM.

I need to know whether replacing the RAM myself will void the warranty.

In the past, I have typically waited until the warranty had expired before upgrading RAM, but in this instance, I will will need the additional memory right from the start.

Multiple other computer companies specifically state that replacing RAM in their systems does not void the warranty so long as the act of replacing the RAM does not damage any other part of the system. However, I see no official policy from HP on this topic.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for the 15-eb model series.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Spectre x360 15 Convertible PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended ...

It appears that the memory is onboard (soldered, not upgradable), and models are sold with either 8 GB or 16 GB memory configurations.  See chapter 1.

If you look at chapter 3 of the manual, there is a list of different motherboards with the onboard memory capacities.

If you look at the component removal and replacement section (chapter 5) of the manual, there is no procedure to remove or replace the memory.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for the 15-eb model series.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Spectre x360 15 Convertible PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended ...

It appears that the memory is onboard (soldered, not upgradable), and models are sold with either 8 GB or 16 GB memory configurations.  See chapter 1.

If you look at chapter 3 of the manual, there is a list of different motherboards with the onboard memory capacities.

If you look at the component removal and replacement section (chapter 5) of the manual, there is no procedure to remove or replace the memory.

HP Recommended

Paul, thanks for the info. That's really interesting because I look at the service manual about 2 days ago - even made doubly sure I was looking at the right one - and it showed the procedure for replacing the memory. I can only assume that HP must have been linking to the wrong service manual.

I was very careful to make sure that I had the right manual because I found interesting that the description of the system in the sales area described the memory as "onboard" which typically means soldered on.

Well, thanks for pointing this out. As much as I hate Dell, I may have no choice but to go back to them. Can't understand why HP would cripple this system by not making more memory available.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.