Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp probook 6560b
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I just upgraded an old laptop from vista to Windows 7 (32 bit).  My display is now very zoomed in - stretched wide it seems.  I have rectified two missing drivers, but still have an "unknown device" that I have no idea what it is or if it is what's causing the problems.  Gmail only works in html and youtube doesn't work at all.  Is this all related?  I have basic/intermediate computer knowledge.  I would really appreciate any help.  Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Wingham1013 :

The unknown device probably needs this driver, and it sounds to me like you need to install the graphics driver.

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook is accidentally bumped or dropped.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

You know you are missing the the graphics driver, if you see a device labeled as a Standard VGA Adapter listed in the device manager under the Display Adapters device manager category.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Why 32 bit? You are making it harder to find drivers and limiting yourself to just under 4 gigs of memory. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @Wingham1013 :

The unknown device probably needs this driver, and it sounds to me like you need to install the graphics driver.

This package provides HP 3D DriveGuard for the supported notebook models and operating systems. HP 3D DriveGuard receives notifications from the integrated accelerometer and protects the hard drive (HDD) by automatically "parking the heads" to reduce the risk of damage if the notebook is accidentally bumped or dropped.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

You know you are missing the the graphics driver, if you see a device labeled as a Standard VGA Adapter listed in the device manager under the Display Adapters device manager category.

HP Recommended

"Why 32 bit? You are making it harder to find drivers and limiting yourself to just under 4 gigs of memory. "

I don't know actually.  I'm a novice.  It was running 32 bit vista so I just assumed i would need 32 bit Windows 7 so that's what I got.  That was a mistake I guess?

HP Recommended

Yes, I have Standard VGA Adapter under Display Adapters.  Is the driver you sent me going to fix this issue?  If not where do I find my missing graphics driver?  Thanks so much for your help.

HP Recommended

Getting there!  I no longer have any missing drivers in my device manager!  Thank you!  Now all I need to do is to fix this display issue.  My only options in control panel are 1024x768 and 600x800.  One is bad and the other even worse.

In Device Manager under Display Adapters I still see Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.  It is not requiring a driver, but is this still my problem?

HP Recommended

Yes that means the driver is not installed. It is running on a limited, generic driver. 

HP Recommended

Problem Solved!!!  I downloaded the Intel graphics driver and everything looks like it should now.  Hurray!  Thank you for your help.  Made my day.

HP Recommended

You may not be out of the woods. Do you need more drivers? Check the device manager. Its also customary to give someone who answered your questions the Solution rather than yourself. You would never have gotten anywhere on your own I think. 

HP Recommended

Yes I realize now I gave myself the solution.  That was a mistake as I obviously didn't solve anything.  Can I undo that and give the solution in the appropriate place?  And yes I have checked my device manager and I don't think I have any other outstanding drivers.  Thanks so much for your help.  I'll try to give you the credit.  Again, my mistake.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.