Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
255 G3 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

According to everything I see, including the HP literature, this laptop SHOULD be able to take 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Now considering how much of an utter ball ache it is to install a module in this model (why is there no rear cover for this? #daftdesign) I am very annoyed that Windows AND the built in POST memory tests only see 3.4GB still.

The BIOS recognises the full amount, the POST system information shows the full amount installed.

It is not a 32bit OS, there is only one slot so it's not a faulty DIMM.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 19042.1348

AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

Board : 21F7 52.74

BIOS : F.51

Getting increasingly more dispondant about the direction of consumer tech.
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if your notebook has this issue...

1) Go to Start and type msconfig into Search Programs and Files Box, and press the Enter key.

2) When the program opens, click on it. 

3) Select BOOT TAB

4) Select Advanced Options

5) Uncheck Maximum Memory

6) Click on OK to close and again on OK to close.

7) Reboot Computer.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

Had already tried this.

Also set my own page file size as windows was insisting on only giving me 1.3GB despite recommending 1.7GB (so set to 4096MB initial size).

I am guessing my issue is at quite a low level as the pre OS diagnostics test (the one from pressing the F key at power on) will only test 3.6GB despite the BIOS and it's own system reports returning a total system memory of 8GB.

Wild stab in the dark, but I'm going to guess that the AMD powered 255 G3 doesn't support 8GB but since the Intel version does they claim all 255 G3 models support 8GB

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no way that much memory should be going to the graphics, which would be the only other reason for loss of system memory.

The Crucial memory report for your notebook indicates that 1 x 8 GB of memory is supported and so does the service manual.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp business notebooks | HP 255 G3 | Crucial.com

c04409513.pdf (hp.com)

So like you, I am completely stumped as to why only 1/2 the memory is showing up on a 64 bit OS.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I ran the crucial upgrade tool in it and got 8GB max, and the documentation says there is an HP 8GB upgrade. Maybe next payday I get another module to rule it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.