Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp laptop 15-db0500ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Guys.

I would like to speed up my laptop in a few weeks. I would do that by replacing the HDD with a ssd and upgrade the Ram. The Service Manual says that 2x8GB  is the max amount of supported Ram, but I have seen things in the web that lead to the idea that this laptop could also support the configuration 2x16 GB 2400 / 2666 . Also in a near by Computer Shop the guy said that DDR4 is relatively new and it could work. Does anybody want to encourage me to try out 2x16 GB or is it most likely that it will be wasted money for two 16gb rigs , because late I have to buy 2x8GB ?

the processor is a and Riyzen 3 with a Radeon Vega .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the Ryzens will run 2 x 16 = 32 but for most people you will get no more speed from the increase of 16 to 32. In fact 8 gigs will usually allow the laptop to do ordinary tasks like booting up and opening apps about as fast as it is capable of doing. The difference is if you are doing memory intensive tasks like video editing, CAD or conversion of one large file into another type then additional memory allows that specific task to work better. 

Going from a mechanical hard drive to an SSD is the single best thing you can do to make a computer run "faster" and I would say if you already have 8 gigs of RAM try the SSD before you spend more money on memory. If you have to pay each time the tech opens it I guess I suggest going with 16 gigs total as 32 is very expensive and is unlikely to provide any additional benefit over 16. But if you must have 32 gigs rest assured it will work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes the Ryzens will run 2 x 16 = 32 but for most people you will get no more speed from the increase of 16 to 32. In fact 8 gigs will usually allow the laptop to do ordinary tasks like booting up and opening apps about as fast as it is capable of doing. The difference is if you are doing memory intensive tasks like video editing, CAD or conversion of one large file into another type then additional memory allows that specific task to work better. 

Going from a mechanical hard drive to an SSD is the single best thing you can do to make a computer run "faster" and I would say if you already have 8 gigs of RAM try the SSD before you spend more money on memory. If you have to pay each time the tech opens it I guess I suggest going with 16 gigs total as 32 is very expensive and is unlikely to provide any additional benefit over 16. But if you must have 32 gigs rest assured it will work.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer. I would first replace the hdd as you proposed. I thought that all ssd’s would be compatible but as I just read in another thread here, some guys found out that not all ssds are compatible with their laptops. I think I would like to try the Samsung MZ-76E500B/EU SSD 860 EVO 500 GB or 1TB version if it exists.Is that a compatible one ?   To the RamIssue...  16GB is a lot and even now the 8GB are fully ok and anyway I would look after the swap/page file before any upgrade. I considered the 2x16 GB configuration for playing around with some virtualization instances and so on, and if I want “emulate” more than a few XPs, 32GB would be very nice.  Because I am not a native English speaker and for not letting room for any misunderstanding “ rest assured it works” means it will work. Or should I understand that as “ at first be assured (from some tech) that it will work.

By the way if anyone is looking for a new laptop and do not want to pay a lot or for Christmas it is a really nice machine. Energy consumption, Speed, Design Sound everything good, even though a ssd or hybrid for a few bugs more would be perfect.

HP Recommended

I am giving you the best assurance I can that 32 gigs will work based on multiple other reports. I have to admit I personally have not worked with a Ryzen machine, preferring Intel and seeing many more Intels in the field than Ryzens. 

Running multiple VMs would be one valid reason to have as much memory as possible as each VM will grab its own memory to use but keep in mind XP VMs only really need 512 or 1 gb to run just fine so even 16 gigs will allow you 8-16 XP VMs without falling below 8 gigs for Windows 10. 

Your laptop can do dual storage: HDD plus "gumstick" type M.2 SSD and you really want to use a PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD. It is many times faster than a SATA 2.5 such as you are thinking of using or a SATA M.2 even. So if you want to go into particulars about an NVME M.2 I am happy to do so but the type you want is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus and they are easily available on amazon india. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very very much. It is also my first AMD since 2009. And SSD are also totally new to me. I will later check it in detail with the help of your last posting..thanks

HP Recommended

Yes your tech will know what I am talking about.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.