Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
11ab009la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have an HP laptop, model 11ab-009la X360. The HDD died and I had to replace it. Installed fresh Windows 10 1903, and everything seemed fine, except that the touchpad and the keyboard are not working as soon as the OS is loaded. I installed the UEFI Diagnostics and both devices work fine outside of Windows.

I also read in the forum that there are other models with the same problem, and they solved it disabling the infamous Intel Integrated Sensor driver, but I cannot seem to find it in my system. Maybe this model does not use that specific driver. It has a "Sensor Collection HID", but disabling or uninstalling it does not fix the issue.

Again, the keyboard and touchpad are working fine outside of Windows, so I'm convinced this is a software issue.

Please help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FOUND IT!! IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!! The "Hall Sensor" or whatever it is called lives inside the display. There are 4 cables coming from the display to the motherboard. On one side, there's the LCD and touch cables, on the other we have the wifi antenna and that sensor cable. If I disconnect that cable, keyboard and trackpad work again in Windows, but I imagine that they do not become blocked if I put it in the tablet mode.

Thanks again for your support!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @LARmx

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

This seems like a driver issue. Use an external mouse/keyboard and install the updates on the PC via HPSA

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, and thanks for your assistance. I reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 10 1903, downloaded through Edge the HP Support Assistant, ran the updates as you suggested and here is what happened:

I had 10 driver updates available, it only installed successfully one, and the other 9 keep getting an "error during installation". 3 of them have an "i" inside a yellow circle, the other 6 have a blue circle. Tried the procedure several times (like 5 or so), and every time I was able to install more and more drivers (even asked to install the .NET framework, which I did), with a healthy restart after every attempt. Everything is updated according to the Support Assistant. Even ran the Hardware Diagnostics included in the Assistant.

The issue persists. Keyboard and trackpad don't work inside Windows, but they work fine outside Windows.

What's the next step?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Checking the Device Manager, I notice that there are 2 Unknown Devices and a PCI controller in the Other Devices section. The Support Assistant left those without update even if it reports that everything is updated.

HP Recommended

Through DriverPack Assitant, they turned out to be "Intel Dynamic Tuning Processor Participant", "HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor" and "HP Wireless Button Driver".

HP Recommended

@LARmx

Try updating the windows -

Step 1 Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Click on this link to run Windows Updates troubleshooter.

Step 2 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance. I updated everything in Windows, now it's a 1909 version and Windows Update says that everything is updated. BUT, the problem persists.

Could this be a hardware issue? That the sensor is somehow "locked" in the "tablet" position?

What's the next step?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

FOUND IT!! IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE!! The "Hall Sensor" or whatever it is called lives inside the display. There are 4 cables coming from the display to the motherboard. On one side, there's the LCD and touch cables, on the other we have the wifi antenna and that sensor cable. If I disconnect that cable, keyboard and trackpad work again in Windows, but I imagine that they do not become blocked if I put it in the tablet mode.

Thanks again for your support!

HP Recommended

@LARmx

Glad you found the root cause of the issue and resolved it. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.