Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ZBook G2

I m looking for identification data or a photo of the 512GB Z Turbo Drive module for  a ZBook G2.

I could only find HP spare part #: 813138-001.  Not even a product number.

I know that this option was introduced only late in the ZBook G2 lifecycle - in June 2015 Quickspecs.

The price of the module sold as a spare part is way out of my range - approximately A$1,300 i.e. US$900.

I am looking for a cheaper alternative - either as an HP option or a generic functionally equivalent part.

I know that this part needs to support PCIe 2.0 x2, M.2 form factor, and size 22 x 60 mm.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is a lively discussion on the topic starting here:

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zbook-g2-owners-alternatives-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/page-1

It goes to nearly 200 postings.

Post #153 is found here:

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zbook-g2-owners-alternatives-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/page-16

It has the following information:

I chose the 512GB Z Turbo drive option when configuring the ZBook 17 G2 on the HP web site. According to Device Manager, it is a LITEON-CX1-JB512-HP.

This basically answers my original question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Image:

http://shop.neobits.com/pc_wholesale_813138_001_new_ssd_512gb_z_turbo_drive_pcie_1038167459.php

Looks like a 2280 drive to me. It also looks like a Samsung PM951 which you can find here.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PM951-512GB-Solid-MZVLV512HCJH-00000/dp/B0179DQM34

I am using a PM951 in a Zbook G3. I am generally happy but write speeds are a bit low. Read speeds are off the charts and it has all the NVME goodness: instant-on, etc.

For some extra money you can get the Pro version SM951 which is supposed to be insanely fast. 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-NVMe-MZVPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B015CWR4M2/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t...

HP replacement parts on the Zbook series are just silly. I recently tried to get a video card and heatsink for my Zbook 15 G3. HP wanted $1400 for both. I found a guy on eBay who sold them to me for $400. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

In response to Huffer:

The item you pointed to at shop.neobits.com is the correct one - the right spare part number: 813138-001.  But they did not publish a photo or any data.

The part on the photo that you published cannot possibly be the right one.  It is 2280 form factor and there is no way it can physically fit into Zbook G2. G2 has only space for modules 60 mm long.

You mentioned ZBook G3.  Zbook G3 uses different parts than ZBook G2.  G3 uses 2280 modules and it is PCIe Gen3 x4, whereas G2 uses 2260 and PCIe Gen2 x2.   This new parts in G3 are about 3 times faster than the parts used in G2.  There is amazing amount of change in this area.

So, I am still looking for a good photo or identification data of the ZBook G2 specific 512 GB Z Turbo Drive - spare part # 813138-001

HP Recommended

Here is a picture of the 128 gig PCI-e and it does show a 2260 module. The picture in the Service manual appears to show a 2280, but it does not give too many details of where the slot is located and I assume you have actually opened it and looked at the slot where it goes. 

http://ubbcentral.com/store/item/Sandisk-A110-M2-NGFF-2260-256GB-SSD-PN--SD6PP4M-256G-1006-HP-OEM--7...

HP Recommended

That photo is for 256 GB module.   I am familiar with it.  This is the module that was offered first and is relatively common. This is actually a SanDisk A110 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD SD6PP4M-256G. HP spare part number: 795955-001

That is the kind of information that I would like to get for the 512 GB module for ZBook G2.  At the moment I have only the HP spare part number:  813138-001.

There is physically no space in ZBook G2 to put a module longer than 60 mm and there is only one screw socket matching the 60 mm module, so it must be a 2260 module.

This is cionfirmed in message #4 of this discussion:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zbook-g2-owners-alternatives-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/

There is also a photo of the slot there (with a non-working SATA only 512 GB module in it).

HP Recommended

There is a lively discussion on the topic starting here:

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zbook-g2-owners-alternatives-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/page-1

It goes to nearly 200 postings.

Post #153 is found here:

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zbook-g2-owners-alternatives-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/page-16

It has the following information:

I chose the 512GB Z Turbo drive option when configuring the ZBook 17 G2 on the HP web site. According to Device Manager, it is a LITEON-CX1-JB512-HP.

This basically answers my original question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.