Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17 ce2xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP Envy laptop - which works very well.   Except the keyboard backlight is very dim and the lettering on the keys is faint.  Hard to type in the light or in the dark.  The f5 key turns the backlight on, up and off, but the light is still very dim.   Any way to increase the the output of the keyboard backlight?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@PaulJohnson1,

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, you are trying to adjust the brightness of the backlit keyboard.

Don't worry, I'm here to help! To better assist you - 

1) May I have the exact model name of the computer? Refer to this link for steps to find the product details.
(Ensure not to share the serial number, email, phone number, etc.)

2) Can you also send us a picture of the keyboard layout?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps -

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the Fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

To adjust the brightness of the backlight, press the key with the backlight icon two or three times in a row. The keyboard backlight dims and brightens. It might be necessary to press the Fn (function) key at the same time to activate the backlight key.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.