1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ab292nr upgrades

HP Pavilion Notebook15-ab292nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

First, I must admit, I'm pretty disappointed and pissed off with my interactions so far with HP support. I tried asking this question both on FB and using the HP Chat support (been waiting over 30 minutes for a rep...)

I bought a few days ago a Pavilion ab292nr, I have two simple questions, I understand that I can't put DDR4 Memory on it since it only supports DDR3L, what's the maximum memory speed for this laptop? I consider buying two 8gb DDR3L 2133MHz, I guess it should speed up the computer further, but I'm not sure if I can get the full advantage of 2133MHz since the memory the laptop come with is 1600MHz (it sounds completely stupid that the laptop would support 2133MHz and HP would deliberately decide to put a slower crappier memory in it).

** Please do not refer me to the maintenance guide, I checked it out, it doesn't say **bleep**.

Also, I'm interested in buying a 256Gb SSD to be my primary harddrive and put the slow 1TB HD asa secondary one. First, is it possible? If so, where can I get my windows code in order to reinstall it with the SSD as primary HD?

Third, since no one really uses CDs today, is it possible to just remove the DVD drive? Is there any place I could buy a plastic cover or something?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Fabian

1 REPLY
Retired
Retired
2840 184 354
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ab292nr upgrades

Hey @fabiansc

Thank you for coming into the HP Support Forums. I understand that you want to know if you can upgrade the memory and use an SSD as your primary drive. Below is all the information/specifications you need in regards to your requests: 

Memory:

DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:

● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1) + (4096×1)

● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)

● 6144-MB total system memory (4096×1) + (2048×1)

● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)

There is an Upgrading Memory (RAM) document you can take a look at for more information about upgrading the memory. 

Hard Drive:

Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5 mm (.37 in) and 7.0 mm (.28 in) thicknesses 7 mm/9.5 mm share the same bracket Accelerometer / HDD protection support: 

• 2-TB, 5400-rpm, 2.5-inch
  • 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 2.5-inch, hybrid 8 GB SSD
  • 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 2.5-inch
  • 750 GB, 5400 rpm hard drive, 2.5 inch
  • 500-GB, 5400-rpm, 7 mm, hybrid 8 GB SSD
  • 500-GB, 5400-rpm, 2.5 inch

M.2 Solid State Drive:

• 256GB, 2280, M.2, SATA-3, TLC

When it comes to the SSD and the Optical drive, they can be done, but I would suggest taking your Notebook into a repair facility to install all of the changes you are requesting properly as by taking out the Optical drive you may have issues (ie. balancing) if not done correctly. Plus if you have a warranty package, it is important for you to know that if someone other than HP performs the installation of the upgrades, any damage caused by the component and/or by a person trying to install or upgrade the memory is excluded from coverage under the product warranty. 

I hope that this helps! 

If my reply has answered your questions, please click the Accept as Solution button. If you would like to give me a virtual high five, please make sure the click the Thumbs Up! 

Take care :) 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation