Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After an update on restart goes to a bios update. I follow all instrctions and it never comes back to windows. This is the 3rd time this laptop has done this. 1. brand new (store  replaced it) 2. Replacement lap around yr old bios update same thing, returned to mfg, repaired with new motherboard, 3. Replacement lap same thing happened.. Tried the recovery method same results, powers up for about 12 seconds, see hd light, hear fan, flashes (maybe backlight() then cycles back through the aforementioned cycle. Think this is a problem with their mother boards. Would like to talk to tech but it appears I need an incident number, can't seem to get on any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Just got disconnected from hp after being on for 44 mins., being transferred between department. Only thing accomplished was I got a case number.  Asked to speak with supervisor siad they would and that's when got disconnected. I expected tehm to go back because they ask for call back number in case of disconnection, its been 30 mins. don't expect to hear from them. HP has got to have the worst customer service.I really don' know where to go from here. I will definitely tell everyone I know not to buy HP Products that for sure. I've owned HP for most of my adult life but I doubt if I will buy another product from them.

HP Recommended

@CHUCK116

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Many HP computers have an HP BIOS Restore tool that might be able to recover the BIOS from an earlier version and restore basic functionality. This tool might or might not work in the event of BIOS corruption depending on many factors, but is worth trying in the event the BIOS is corrupted.

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next section to Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I had already tried both solutions you suggested, did not work. I knew going in theses solutions would not work because of the history of the HP17 BY0062ST as was explained in my comments above.  Received a call from a case worker at HP, best they could do(?) was offer a money off coupn on purchase of a new HP lap.  This isn't good enough. There is a problem with the machine and the "higher ups" refuse to recognize it. Again I thank you for your time and suggestions. Maybe someone will be able to get the attention of corporate.

HP Recommended

@CHUCK116

Thank you for posting back. 

This sounds like system BIOS needs to be flashed by the manufacturer, 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.