Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I do not keep my laptop plugged in at night when I am finished I shut it down an unplug it. when I boot up in the morn I dont immediately plug it in but I watch the battery icon an as soon as it is a tiny bit black I have to plug it in even though the icon says its 5 hours before it needs charging. 

I went to the site to see if the battery is one that needs recalling but upon checking I dont see any place that has a drawer for the battery, no slider nothing just a flat base so I cant enter any battery bar code

so where is the battery an if I have to replace it how do I get the old one out

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@tessiss7
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

Note: this is a sealed battery product, in other words, non-removeable battery.

While you respond to those question, I have a few troubleshooting steps, you could perform to isolate the issue:

Run hardware diagnostics test on battery and Charger:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  4. The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.
  5. To run both tests simultaneously, in the Component Tests menu, click Power Source, and then click Run once. Each component can also be tested individually.

AC Adapter Test:

The AC Adapter test provides an interactive test to determine if the AC power adapter is functioning properly. A good battery is required for this test. Before running the AC Adapter Test, HP recommends verifying that your computer can receive power by connecting a known working AC adapter.

Follow these steps to perform the AC Adapter Test.

• In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click an AC Adapter Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • The AC Adapter Test begins.
  • When the test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

Battery Test:

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. In the Component Tests menu, click Power, and then click Battery.
  2. Click Run once. The Battery Test begins.
  3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

If the test passes, continue with these steps:

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.

2. Expand batteries.

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.

4. Shut down the computer. 

5. Disconnect the charger.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.

8. Insert the battery only.

9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

If possible, try an alternate charger.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the back of the laptop does not have the slide button to remove the battery, the back is flat

so even if i do all the steps you mention i cant remove the battery since i dont have a clue how

HP Recommended

@tessiss7

As I mentioned earlier this computer build with non-removeable battery hence you won't be able to remove the battery. 

However, you can skip that part and continue other troubleshooting steps. 

The battery test will calibrate the battery health and will let you the result.

Note: If you're unable to power on the computer then you can skip all the steps and service the laptop. 

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sorry for the delay in my answering you. i have tried all your solutions minus removing the battery since its non removable an when i got to the ;part bout checking it said to removed the ac adapter an then check, the thing is if i remove the adapter the computer will not stay on longer then maybe 1 or 2 minutes then it shuts off. it was not like this when i got it but i think the battery is going an it needs to be serviced.

HP Recommended

@tessiss7
Thank you for posting back.

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.