Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
zolabud123 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

bios update. Probook 455 G3. Scared to update.

Probook 455 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought this HP Probook 455 G3 and it has just run out of warranty which I intend to renew very soon.

I don't like 8.1 or 10 so I spent more than I wanted to and I bought a new Windows 7 lappy that is a business laptop.

I always do the recommended updates that I receive by E mail but one I never do which is the Bios update.

The last time I did a Bios update on this lappy it wouldn't fire up afterwards. Rang tech help and after going through some troubleshooting it went back for repair. It came back working and luckliy i didn't have many pictures on it.

Started from scratch and haven't had a problem since.

I am now scared to do the Bios update.

And....

Beofre I bought this laptop I bought a Windows 8.1 from HP direct . Hardly use it but update virus protection as necassary and last week there was a Bios update to perform. I also took out another 2 years warranty on it.

Same think happened. Last week in fact.

Wouldn't fire up afterwards. Again Tech help tried to help but in the end after frequent crashes it went in for repair on Friday. Good job I took out the extra warranty...

I am now down to 1 laptop which I do not want to fail on me.

I don't seem to have much luck with the Bios updates...

Advice please? Is the Bios absolutely essential?

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14028 1326 3146
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

zolabud123

Hard to answer your question definitively.

BIOS updates are generally issued for the following reasons:

1) Add capability to support newer processors

2) Ehance hardware features of the motherboard

3) Fix bugs in the BIOS code

The general rule of advice is, unless the BIOS update specifically addresses and fixes a problem YOU are experiencing, there is no need to do the update.

I mistakenly did a BIOS update on a Gigabyte motherboard a while back, and it was a good thing I did a backup PRIOR to the update, because afterward, the PC was useless.  After that, Gigabyte removed the update from their site.

You are doing the right thing being cautious.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
zolabud123 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you think that had anthing to do with 2 lappys being fixed right now?

What I look for Lord knows as I am not particularly savvy on things like this.

Good on antivirus and updating but a bit useless at other things like these Bios updates.

I ring HP support quite a lot and extend my warranties when needed.

If I hadn't paid for an extra 2 years warranty on my red 15-212 I wouldn''t have been able to send it to  be fixed.

Although it wasn't my fault that the update failed....

I think I will ring HP and ask their advice next time....

Thanks all for your very intreresting replies.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation