Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy dv6 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is about 5-6 yrs old. The origional battery would fully charge as long as it was hard wired. The battery would discharge in a couple of hours if not hard wired. I replaced the battery and the new battery will not charge, It says 47%, plugged in, not charging. It has been that way for 48 hrs. I did shutdown the laptop over night.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@doughnuts49er

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

But please try these steps and let me know how it goes

First update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Then uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

If the issue persists please run a Battery Test 

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Power > Battery

Keep me posted

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@doughnuts49er

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

But please try these steps and let me know how it goes

First update the BIOS from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Then uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get re-installed automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

If the issue persists please run a Battery Test 

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Power > Battery

Keep me posted

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your first set of instuctions and it did not help. I did the second set and the battery test said failde, but the battery did start to charge and got to full. Thought problem was solved. I started using the laptop on battery and when it got to 98% it said plugged in not charging. I shut down(hard wired) Started it up this morning (ard wired) and it said 55% plugged not charging. Why would it discharge sut down? I continued to use it hard wired and it went down to 49% plugged in not charging and has stayed there. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@doughnuts49er

Thanks for keeping me posted

Since the Battery Test failed, the battery needs to be replaced

I have sent you a private message with the next course of action

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.