Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-d053sa notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a clean install of Windows 10 and full update to version 20H2,

the brighness and volume hotkeys (f2, f3, f6, f7, and f8) no longer work.

Device Manager->Display Adaptors shows a single entry  "Intel(R) HD Graphics520"

and informs me that I have the latest version.

I have disabled and re-enabled Action Keys in the BIOS.

Is there anything else I can try?

Edit 07-March-2021

Further to the above, I have used Control Panel->Devices and Printers which shows me: DESKTP-F9JGGVP status: needs troubleshooting, status: driver unavailable.

On selecting 'Troubleshoot' it shows:

PCI data acquisition and signal processing conroller doesn't have a driver: unknown device.

PCI data acquisition and signal processing conroller doesn't have a driver: unknown device.

PCI simple communications controller doesn't have a driver: unknown device.

PCI memory conroller doesn't have a driver: unknown device.

I don't see my device listed.

Troubleshooter can't identify the problem.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

Welcome to the HP support community.

1. Click the Start button, then click Run.   

2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG.   

3. Press the ENTER key.   

4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.   

5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.   

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by Clicking here  

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20 and thanks for your interest in my problem.

Following your instructions, it says "To manage startup items, use the Startup section of Task Manager."

Task_Manager->Startup shows:

Cortana Disabled

Intel Graphics Command Center Startup Task Disabled

Windows Security Notification Icon Enabled

Your Phone Disabled

When I click on the link you supplied I get the error message:

The requested URL /pub/softpaq/sp69001-69500/sp69229.exe was not found on this server.

HP Recommended

@Andy_Kay

Follow these steps to fix the issue:-

1. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, identify your computer, and then look for keyboard drivers.

2. Click Driver-Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices, and then select the HP Wireless Button Driver or HP Hotkey Support driver, depending on your operating system and notebook model.

Locate the HP Wireless Driver Button Driver

3. Download and install the driver.

The function keys should now work.

Refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your perseverance Sandytechy20.

Downloading the HP wireless button driver for my Envy 13-d053sa notebook as per your instructions, it offered me 'repair' or 'delete' options. I didn't want to delete as I may have found my keyboard and trackpad unusable, so I selected 'repair.'

The process completed, but the hotkeys are still inoperative.

I downloaded the latest version of Hardware Diagnostics (V1.6.8.0) and launched the app, performed system extensive tests, with all sections passing.

HP Recommended

HI@Andy_Kay,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Turn off your HP laptop.
  2. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB drives, etc.) from your computer.
  3. Remove all recently added internal hardware.
  4. Press the Power button to switch your HP laptop on.
  5. Once your unit starts booting, immediately press the F11 key. Repeatedly press it until you see the Choose an Option screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot.
  7. Choose Reset this PC.
  8. You can either opt to keep your files or to remove everything.
  9. Select Keep My Files when you want to retain your data. Once you click Reset, your operating system will be reinstalled. The process may take a while.
  10. Choose Remove Everything when you want to remove all your personal files.
  11. You can opt to remove everything solely on the drive where your operating system is installed. On the other hand, you can click All Drives when you do not want to retain any data.
  12. You can also fully clean the drive you selected or just remove your files.
  13. Click Reset.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

HP Recommended

@Praveenbv

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. This condition followed a clean install that took forever given that I had to bring it up to date (Windows 10 version 20H2) and re-install a lot of apps, so I was hoping to avoid having to go through it all again (with the attendant possibility that the condition may still persist). I was hoping that there was a fix as simple as updating the driver, and that I had been overlooking something trivial, but it's beginning to seem not. I may eventually get sufficiently annoyed at having to go into settings to alter screen brightness and to alter volume that re-installing will begin to look inviting, but I'm not there yet. Many thanks for the suggestion though.

HP Recommended

HI@Andy_Kay,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to check to get to know its hardware is faulty, not a software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

@Praveenbv

Thanks. I realised that we had probably exhausted all the usual avenues for addressing this problem, after initially hoping that I had overlooked something trivial. Just for completeness:

f2 (decrease screen brightness) does nothing

f3 (increase screen brightness) brings up a "search in window" box

f7 (decrease volume) brings up a caret browsing box

f8 (increase volume) does nothing.

Thanks for your time and patience.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.