Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g015dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My laptop is running very slow. I am familiar with software and it does not have any virus. I would like to know if I can add RAM to my laptop to increase the speed? 

Here are the details. 

Product Description: HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g015dx (ENERGY STAR)

Product Number: M5H37UA

how many RAM I can add and if you can provide me part number from HP for the same , that will be great. 

Thank you. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.  They offer compatible memory.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-17-g015dx

You want one of the DDR3L-1600 memory kits.

Below is the link to the service manual...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655191

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Currently I have two slots and it has 6 GB of memory. Can I just remove the 2GB memory and upgrade it with 8GB memory? Will that be compatible with my laptop and will it work? 

memory.PNG

There are two options for 8 GB. Which one will work or better ? 

1) 

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1866 SODIMM

CT102464BF186D
Configuration ID: CT7710535
DDR3 PC3-14900 • CL=13 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

2) 

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
CT102464BF160B
Configuration ID: CT7710552
DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

Do I need an expert to install this memory or it comes with detailed instructions to change it? I work in IT software so aware of most basic hardware/instructions but not an expert in installing hardwares. 

Please advise. Thank you. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can remove the 2 GB chip and replace it with an 8 GB chip.

I would get this part...

Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM   CT102464BF160B
Configuration ID: CT7710552
DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

You will have to read the memory removal and replacement procedure in the service manual I posted earlier, which gives step by step instructions to open up the notebook and remove and replace the memory.

After reading the manual, you should be able to decide if you can do the work yourself.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

I did get the memory you mentioned and installed in my laptop. Earlier I had 1 slot of 4 GB RAM, 2nd slot with 2GB RAM. Now I have 1 slot of 4 GB RAM and 2nd slot with 8GB RAM. so my RAM is doubled but I am not seeing any improvements to my computer processing speed. In Fact, it is slower now.  Under systems information, it does recognize the new memory. I have attached below  picture.

HPSystemMemoryCapture.PNG

All things shows OK under System Information -> Memory as well.

Under Device manager,  one new device showed up as other devices and it does not have any driver information after memory upgrade.  This is how it looks. Do I need to download driver from somehwere?

HPMemoryDeviceother.PNG

What should I do?

Thank you for your help and appreciate your help to the community.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why adding more memory would make the notebook run slower.

You may have other issues going on there.

I do know that when you install memory in mismatched capacities like the way it came from HP, and even with an 8 GB chip + a 4 GB chip, the memory runs in the lower performing single channel mode.

In order for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, you need to install memory in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB, etc).

Someday, you may want to remove the 4 GB chip and install an 8 GB chip in its place.

If that doesn't help either, the only other suggestion I can offer would be to back up your files and clean install W10 using the media creation tool from Microsoft, and manually install the available drivers and software from your notebook's support page.

Regarding the drivers...

There seems to be an issue with the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework manager.

It should not have a little ! mark next to it.

See if installing this driver fixes the issue.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82001-82500/sp82025.exe

For the unknown device, please post the hardware ID for it, so I can figure out what driver it needs.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.