Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-G192DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having problems with my pavilion 17-G192DX.  when I have the wifi on, it works for about 10 minutes, then basically shuts down my home network - TV locks up, no other computers can access the internet.  As soon as I turn the wifi off, everything goes back to normal.  HP troubleshooting can find nothing...when the thing is working, that is.  I'd like to upgradethe wifi card with a dual band unit?  I'm thinking the Intel 7260 2x2.  Will that work in this computer?  Any other options?  P/N is V0Q01UA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ordered the dual band replacement WLAN module P/N 784644-005 listed in the table on page 38 of the manual.  A little over 6 bucks on ebay.  Removing the back was interesting, but finally got it off.  The computer I have had only one antenna, so I hooked it up to the main plug (i.e. not the one that said "AUX) on the card.  Put it back together, fired it up, and the 5G channel came through just fine, as well as the 2.4 G.  So you don't need 2 antennae - one works just fine.

Thanks for all the information!  Very helpful.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes you can install any wireless card of the right form factor which for your laptop is an M.2 adapter. See the Manual here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655191

The 7260ac is a mini-pcie card and is not compatible but you could MAYBE install an Intel 8260ac card:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-8260AC-8260NGW-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B01ERMBDCK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&q...

Start on p. 31 with removal of the back cover and read through p. 39.

The hesitation is that, to install a dual band card you must have 2 antennae and on some HP models with lower-end wireless cards there is only one. So if you want to do this I recommend open it first and count antennae. If two, you can install the card linked above, which will perform as well as any wireless card you can buy. 

Let us know if there are other questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as SOlution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I ordered the dual band replacement WLAN module P/N 784644-005 listed in the table on page 38 of the manual.  A little over 6 bucks on ebay.  Removing the back was interesting, but finally got it off.  The computer I have had only one antenna, so I hooked it up to the main plug (i.e. not the one that said "AUX) on the card.  Put it back together, fired it up, and the 5G channel came through just fine, as well as the 2.4 G.  So you don't need 2 antennae - one works just fine.

Thanks for all the information!  Very helpful.

HP Recommended

OK it will "work" with no antenna at all but I would be curious to see what kind of thruput and range you are getting. Still as long as you are happy....

HP Recommended

The 5G signal is somewhat attenuated compared to the 2.4G, but its plenty strong enough within the range I need it - I'm not seeing any performance issues.  Beats running a wire!

HP Recommended

Just for the record two antennae are needed for full performance of the 802.11ac device. When we say you need 2 antennae it means you need 2 for it to work as designed. Users have reported dropped signals and slow performance with only one. But if your only goal is to be able to receive a 5 ghz signal at all, it will "work". 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.