Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 (2L1F2AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I use my Omen en-1000 series both for work and gaming in my spare time, I wanted to buy a second -lighter- charger to bring with me to the office, so I thought I'd get the 150w official hp one (out of the box the pc had a 200w charger) but I'm unsure if I can get max performance out of it for office work.

I know I wont get the best performance for gaming, but for office work (CPU and RAM intensive but minimum GPU work) will it be able to charge and get the best performance out of the AMD Ryzen 7 5800H ? (i think it should be a 45w max cpu right?). Will I spot the difference between the two chargers for said use-case scenario? 

Thanks for any advice!

Here are my specs:

Nome dispositivo OMEN
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
RAM : 64,0 GB 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 - 6gb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For anyone who needs an answer for the same problem of mine, I was not satisfied with the quality of the answers provided, so I went and bought the 150w charger, I found it at discount so I just decided to go and try it myself.

And the result is: Yes, you can use a 150w charger instead of the 200w, yes it charges perfectly fine even under cpu and ram  intensive work. Maybe it took a little more time to charge than when using the 200w one but it was barely  noticeable in an office environment (You'd probably keep it plugged in anyways).

Definitely worth the price paid (50EUR on amazon) and the little performance hit (again, not suggesting you buy it if you have gaming in mind), but it's definitely lighter and more compact than the 200w one.

As I've said clearly, my intent is not to game on the machine while with the 150w charger, so I didn't test it in that scenario, but of course it would probably affect the performance.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@olivierorossi 

What is your 15-en1000 (2L1F2AV) machine ? Some machines of the series use 150W AC adapter, some machine use 200W AC adapter. I believe your machine uses 200W AC Adapter.

100W is too weak, it won't charge your machine. It may charge your machine during off or idle.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Hi, as I stated in the question, my pc came with the 200w charger, I want to know if I can use a 150w charger (not the 100w one). I also specified that I am NOT interested in gaming with the 150w charger (so I don't care if that activity's performance would take a hit), I need it just for CPU/RAM intensive work (minimum Graphic Card activity).

HP Recommended

@olivierorossi wrote:

@Banhien

Hi, as I stated in the question, my pc came with the 200w charger, I want to know if I can use a 150w charger (not the 100w one). ....

@olivierorossi 

You can try but I know for sure it won't run properly.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

For anyone who needs an answer for the same problem of mine, I was not satisfied with the quality of the answers provided, so I went and bought the 150w charger, I found it at discount so I just decided to go and try it myself.

And the result is: Yes, you can use a 150w charger instead of the 200w, yes it charges perfectly fine even under cpu and ram  intensive work. Maybe it took a little more time to charge than when using the 200w one but it was barely  noticeable in an office environment (You'd probably keep it plugged in anyways).

Definitely worth the price paid (50EUR on amazon) and the little performance hit (again, not suggesting you buy it if you have gaming in mind), but it's definitely lighter and more compact than the 200w one.

As I've said clearly, my intent is not to game on the machine while with the 150w charger, so I didn't test it in that scenario, but of course it would probably affect the performance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.