Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j143na Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)Example: Pavilion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I add an SSD to my laptop to add the OS to to giver faster boot up etc.

If so what spec do I look for

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

What you can do is replace the 2.5" hard drive in your notebook with a 2.5" SSD such as the Samsung 860evo. This would give a great performance boost to the system.

You could get an external housing for the old drive and use it as an external USB drive.

On page 46 of service manual you can see how to replace the drive:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03943414

You do not have an M2 slot to add an extra SSD. You might have a mSata slot to add a cache SSD which would act as a cache for the mechanical drive. However the best idea is to replace the mechanical drive.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

What you can do is replace the 2.5" hard drive in your notebook with a 2.5" SSD such as the Samsung 860evo. This would give a great performance boost to the system.

You could get an external housing for the old drive and use it as an external USB drive.

On page 46 of service manual you can see how to replace the drive:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03943414

You do not have an M2 slot to add an extra SSD. You might have a mSata slot to add a cache SSD which would act as a cache for the mechanical drive. However the best idea is to replace the mechanical drive.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.