Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs161sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

if a link could be provided, it would be appricated if possible. thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That specific model 15-bs161sa has no backlight on the keyboard. However, I gave you 2 links. The first is to the Service Manual which covers many more models than yours. Laptops are designed in model series in your case the 15-bs100 series and all the models in that series share major components like top covers and keyboards. Some of the models in the series used backlit keyboards even with the same motherboard you have so if you swapped in the backlit keyboard listed in the Manual for one of them it would work on your laptop. 

Like Nissan sells a Maxima "S" and "SV"; the SV has 19 inch wheels and the "S" has 18 inch wheels. You can get the SV 19 inch wheels and put them on an "S" model. Not necessarily true by the way, a made up example but serves the purpose. 

The second link I gave you is to the HP parts Store to buy the part HP sells from the store which you could swap in to have a backlit keyboard. Its expensive. I explained the uphill fight you are facing. 

Please acknowledge and let me know how much of this I still have not explained very well. Happy to keep plugging away until we are on the same page. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Backlit keyboard was an option on that model so yes, theoretically you can replace your non-backlit with a backlit. 

The list of keybards and part numbers is at page 22 of the Manual here:

Manual

Problem is HP only provides a replacement part consisting of the keyboard plus the top cover. Which means it is not an easy job and not inexpensive to do this upgrade. Example:

Models with a backlight for use in the United States in the following color: rose gold 925565-001

$192 from the parts store:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=368CBE9919CB411E83B1C1583B10CC72&SearchIn=P...

Ouch. You can sometimes find just the keyboard on eBay but I am striking out right now and if its there I would probably find it.

Post back with any more questions and we can spend a little more effort looking. 

If this is the answer you needed please accept as Solution. 

HP Recommended
Ah ok, when you say backlit was an option. Is it named as another model or HP 15-bs161sa? And again if you have a link it's greatly appreciated. Thanks
HP Recommended

That specific model 15-bs161sa has no backlight on the keyboard. However, I gave you 2 links. The first is to the Service Manual which covers many more models than yours. Laptops are designed in model series in your case the 15-bs100 series and all the models in that series share major components like top covers and keyboards. Some of the models in the series used backlit keyboards even with the same motherboard you have so if you swapped in the backlit keyboard listed in the Manual for one of them it would work on your laptop. 

Like Nissan sells a Maxima "S" and "SV"; the SV has 19 inch wheels and the "S" has 18 inch wheels. You can get the SV 19 inch wheels and put them on an "S" model. Not necessarily true by the way, a made up example but serves the purpose. 

The second link I gave you is to the HP parts Store to buy the part HP sells from the store which you could swap in to have a backlit keyboard. Its expensive. I explained the uphill fight you are facing. 

Please acknowledge and let me know how much of this I still have not explained very well. Happy to keep plugging away until we are on the same page. 

HP Recommended

Hello i found out that yes some models do have suport for the backlit keyboard option.

here is the link to the page

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=1603FBF9D7564F478F050F210B5DEEA8&SearchIn=P...

i hope that this helps here is the link to the manual that includes all the part numbers look on page 88

https://content.etilize.com/user-manual/1040068583.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.