Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cs0012na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The fan seems to be continuously on from start up. I'm not doing heavy tasks, only looking at emails and doing some web browsing. 

I've updated the BIOS, and checked the CPU core temperatures using core temp, they were all low at ~32 degrees C  each. I set the maximum CPU power supplied to 50% and still the fans are on. (I even went as low as 20% just to check and still the fans were on and the noise persisted). 

I ran a system diagnostic to check the hardware and everything passed. 

I don't know what else to do. It's a shame because I really like the laptop but this issue is really frustrating, especially since I bought it so I could take it to the library but it's hard to do anything when my laptop sounds like a rocket ship.

It shouldn't be this loud for a  brand new laptop.

Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@15jamedi99

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via private message.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@15jamedi99

Welcome to HP forums.

As you have already tried updating the Bios and you also ran the test which has passed.

I suggest you perform a system reset on the notebook.

Refer this HP document for the steps to reset:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. 

I performed the reset and this did not fix my problem. 

What should I do next? 

HP Recommended

@15jamedi99

Run an extensive system diagnostics test for F2.

Refer this HP document for steps:- click here

If it shows any error, I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Everything passed the extensive test. Is there anything else you can recommend? 

Is there any way I can exchange my laptop without losing much money, seeing as I can't seem to find anything worthy of a refund? 

HP Recommended

I've been looking at my laptop and have found a very small warping of the laptop case around the fan grill near the bottom of the notebook screen. Could this be the cause of the problem? I've attached a picture showing the defect. 20190208_115355.jpg

HP Recommended

@15jamedi99

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via private message.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem was solved by entering the BIOS by pressing esc repeatedly on start-up. From here I then navigated to systems configuration and found a setting called 'Set fan to always on' and I disabled this. The issue has now been solved, and the fan rarely comes on now. No hit in performance has been observed apart from a positive affect on battery life. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.