TC211
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

corrupted optical CD/DVD drivers

HP 255 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

:Surprise:  Problem: Cannot read nor write onto optical CD/DVD disk.

I am pretty sure I have a corrupted optical CD/DVD drivers.

Would like exact web page address for the optical CD/DVD drivers downloading.

I have tried all suggestions written by HP & Microsoft with NO success.

11 REPLIES 11
Dhee
Level 4
121 121 4 13
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

hp.com is the right place for the drivers for a hp laptop , on the top right corner , you will find support , under that select the option as software and drivers, enter the model no. of the computer and find the related drivers for cd/dvd drive.

or just click on this link http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

cheers ,

Dhee

0 Kudos
TC211
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:Crying:  Thanks for your prompt reply. I have researched & applied all suggested solutions from HP & Microsoft with NO sucesss. I am pretty sure that:

(a) it is corupted drivers;

(b) I am not the only one with this issure &

(c) pretty sure if I completely remove the corrupted driver & replace it directly from HP or Microsoft it will be corrected.

The main problem is where to get the exact download web page for that driver.

Your reply to my question - The web page & video do not supply the optical CD/DVD drivers. But, Thanks, anyway!

P.S.> I have a gut feeling HP & Microsoft are aware of this issue & may be working towards its solution.

0 Kudos
Dhee
Level 4
121 121 4 13
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pls help me with the product no. of the computer , or the exact model , i will try to find it , and the product  no. will be at the bottom of the computer or inside the battery bay

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
41,374 41,160 6,498 11,321
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let's take a step back and start over. The premise that there are downloadable drivers for an optical drive is incorrect. You will look all over this website and never find a DVD drive driver. Why? Windows provides that driver in the basic code of the operating system. Now, instead of you and others presuming the problem is a driver let's discuss the symptoms of the issue. It is possible that the registry of Windows is corrupt and is not allowing the drivers to work right and there are fixes for that. Please tell us how the problem appears. 

0 Kudos
TC211
6 5 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:Surprise:  OS: Windows 8.1
Problem:  Cannot read nor write onto optical CD/DVD disk. 

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You say you have tried all the Microsoft and HP suggestions. Did you edit the registry to remove upper and lower filters or apply the Microsoft autofix?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03280697

Did you try going into the diagnostics (F2) and run a hardware test on the DVD drive?

0 Kudos
TC211
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:Surprise:    I have; HOWEVER in my registry I did not find Upper & Lower filter. I wondered why.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At some point you have to start to think about just replacing the drive. Only so much software can do if the device is bad. 

0 Kudos
TC211
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

:Surprise:       I have, however the cd dvd drive is listed in File Explorer;

(a)  it response to the eject & close button w sound attempts wanting to function;

(b)  in cd properties it shows cd disk space full regardless if a disk is in the cd drive or not.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation