Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Model: 15-cx0077wm

There's a touchpad bug where the cursor keeps moving in the direction I was moving it even after my finger stops moving. it moves just a little bit, like 2 milimeters. It's as if the cursor was affected by physics or momentum. The issue only occurs when I stop moving my finger but still keep my finger over the touchpad. If I drag my finger and then lift it off from the touchpad, the cursor stops moving immediately after my finger is lifeted. The bug is more noticeable when moving the cursor short distances.

I think this is probably a bug with the ELAN touchpad driver.

However, the problem persists even after I installed the lastest ELAN touchpad drivers from the HP product website here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-cx0000-laptop-pc/20284020/model/23883505?...

I have turned off cursor acceleration in the windows settings but that didn't fix it either.

I have also tried messing with all the touchpad settings in the ELAN driver's settings but couldn't find a setting that was responsible for this.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @guitarjorge24,

Have you tried checking with an external mouse? Does the issue persist?

Try the steps recommended below.

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (of current selected plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> USB Selective Suspend Setting -> Disable (both)

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings (of current selected plan) -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> PCI-Express -> Link State Power Management -> Disable (both)

Also, Try updating the BIOS, touchpad and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Update the touchpad drivers using this link. Click Here

You can also try updating other drivers on your PC using the HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using the HP support assistant. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.
Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.
When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.
If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.
If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.
If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.
In Windows, open a web browser.
   NOTE:
You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.
In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.
In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.
Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.
If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

Refer this article to know more information about using the touchpad. Click Here

Lastly, try running a touchpad test from the component test under system diagnostics page and check if the hardware components are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Let me know if this helps! 
Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Apollo, thank you for your help. When I connect an external mouse the issue doesn't persist. It only happens with the touchpad and only when I finish dragging the cursor but leave my finger over the touchpad making contact with it (if that makes sense).

I tried disabling both USB Selective Suspend Setting and Link State Power Management in the Control Panel but that didn't fix it.

I do have the HP Support Assistant installed and even went to the support site for my laptop to make sure I have the latest  drivers.

I found this thread that seems to demonstrate that ELAN drivers have some sort of latency which could be why the cursor continues to move a little after I stop moving my finger.

I think the issue is the ELAN touchpad driver itself.

HP Recommended

@guitarjorge24
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.