Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-bc405nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I just purchased a 15-bc405nv pavilion a couple of weeks ago, it's got an i5 8300h with a gtx1050ti, and I noticed that while my 8gb memory module is SKHYNIX ddr4 2666 mhz, on CPU-Z  dram frequency is at 1197mhz, and intel's extreme tuning utility says it is running at 2400mhz default. Now, since my ami f.21 bios has no advanced tab to try xmp, and I want to add 8gb of ram, what speed should I get? I will get rid of the skhynix probably, and use some with better latency. If I get 2 new modules, any recommendations on brand, and speed, 2666, or should I go down to 2400 since it is the default speed.

Plus any chance on getting the advanced tab in bios?

Thanx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Two SODIMM slots - customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable
DDR4-2400 Dual Channel Support (DDR4-2666 bridge to DDR4-2400)

Above is From p. 4 of the Service Manual:

What you are seeing is by design. It uses DDR4-2666 modules but runs them at 2400 speed (1200 x 2 for ddr or double data rate). There is no advanced tab in the BIOS so no overclocking possible nor would it be a good idea to try. The Manual says the maximum memory is 8 gigs which is not right. 2 slots and it would run 2 x 16 gigs of DDR4-2666 for 32 gigs total if you wanted to spend that much. DDR4-2400 might likely work OK but I would stick with the DDR4-2666 its designed to use. And gaming or performance memory will do you no good. The motherboard will set the latency to be the same as the SKHynix or other OEM memory. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@LordT 

Sounds like you run a racing car but not on racing tracks, your car runs on a normal highway speed and nothing you can do about that because the regurations.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Two SODIMM slots - customer non-accessible/non-upgradeable
DDR4-2400 Dual Channel Support (DDR4-2666 bridge to DDR4-2400)

Above is From p. 4 of the Service Manual:

What you are seeing is by design. It uses DDR4-2666 modules but runs them at 2400 speed (1200 x 2 for ddr or double data rate). There is no advanced tab in the BIOS so no overclocking possible nor would it be a good idea to try. The Manual says the maximum memory is 8 gigs which is not right. 2 slots and it would run 2 x 16 gigs of DDR4-2666 for 32 gigs total if you wanted to spend that much. DDR4-2400 might likely work OK but I would stick with the DDR4-2666 its designed to use. And gaming or performance memory will do you no good. The motherboard will set the latency to be the same as the SKHynix or other OEM memory. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick reply. Now I understand, it's just that the manual (which covers so many bc models) was all over the place, and I was getting different specs from within the hp support pages. Just one last question, the only reason I mentioned that I was willing to buy 2 new ddr 2666 modules, was that in the country I'm at now, Greece, I can find kingston, gskills, hyperx, corsair, crucial, all in abundance, but no skhynix, and rather than ordering it from ebay or amazon, I would prefer just to go out and buy it, if I were to buy one module to supplement the hynix one, does it have to have cas 17 like the hynix one, or can I add any latency  module, whether it be 16, 17, 18, and the motherboard will take care of it, or should I purchase 2 new identical modules and slap them in there?

thanx.

HP Recommended

You would be best to match it as close as you can. Definitely try to get the same density; i.e. the number of black blocks on the side of the module, aka double or single "ranks". The memory timings should syncronize but if you get two modules too much different they will not run in dual channel mode. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Huffer, understood loud and clear, I appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

1.png2.png

I'm having the same issue but my processor is not an Intel I5, it is an AMD Ryzen 5. My memory module works at 2400MHz instead 2666MHz. Does the Ryzen 5 have the same limitation and the memory module cannot work at the max. speed ? Thanks for your support 

HP Recommended

Exactly right. DDR4-2666 "bridged" to 2400 speed. 

HP Recommended

I discovered it because I expected that the new PC was quicker than the previous one with Intel I5 4300 DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 but in some situation the old is quicker than the newer. The latency seems to be very high, isn't it? I would like to increase my memory and I was thinking to buy two modules with lower latency but I'm not sure if I will increase my performances: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01N7K4CEU/?tag=tomsforum-21

HP Recommended

I hate to say this but knowledge can sometimes be a dangerous thing. Yes the stated latencies on DDR4 seem higher than on older types of memory but that does not make the memory slow. You can pay extra for the lower latency "gaming" memory but the laptop motherboard will clock it just like OEM memory and your extra expenditure will yield no benefit. Before you think your new DDR4 machine is "slower" you should do some actual benchmarking not just rely on subjective feelings. If the new laptop is not performing to benchmark standards we can try to help you address that. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.