cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

delete hard drive

HP Recommended
Compaq Presario A900
Microsoft Windows Vista

We have a Compaq Presario A900 - we would like to wipe the hard drive and start fresh with an install of Windows 10.

Would you please tell us the steps to take to do so.  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
25,867 25,800 2,366 5,597
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

KatMc

Actually, I would strongly advise AGAINST doing the Win10 Upgrade, primarily because it's practically a certainty that there are no HP Win10 drivers for your laptop. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC. HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist! 

There are over 103 different models of your laptop, so if you could provide me the specific model number, I can check for HP Win10 drivers:  Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

Even Win7 PCs have a poor record of success doing the Upgrade to Win10, as I have done several and ALL had one serious problem or another, and two of them got trashed so badly I had to do a full factory restore to get them back to working condition.

And finally, the FREE Upgrade only applies to Win7 PCs or newer.  For older PCs, you have to purchase a license, and given the low likelyhood of the Upgrade working, that is going to cost over $100 USD just to find out you have wasted your money.

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're right, it isn't sounding promising.

Here are the other numbers on the back of the laptop:

s/n: [Personal Information Removed]

pn/a: FE801UA#ABC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
9,487 9,432 1,671 4,702
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KatMc,

Your Compaq Presario A944CA Notebook PC is about 8.5 years old and came with Windows Vista installed. As previously stated, the upgrade to Windows 10 isn't free and the computer is most likely an unsuitable candidate for the upgrade.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
25,867 25,800 2,366 5,597
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

KatMc

Thanks for providing the product information.

I was hoping that there were at least HP Win7 drivers for your PC, which would allow you to upgrade to Win7 and then, try the Upgrade to Win10.

But in checking your model, the latest HP drivers are for Vista.

That pretty much rules out upgrading your PC to Win10.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation