Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-x014ur
Linux

I want to know, if in my laptop present the place for the second hdd? i cant find any specs about it on the site

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no profit. It is what it is. An M.2 SATA connected through the same port as a 2.5 inch SATA SSD will perform about the same. So your laptop has the hardware needed to install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, but you would have to buy extra hardware to make an M.2 disk work and you would gain nothing in performance. Seems an easy decision what to do. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See pages 43 and 52. The laptop can take EITHER a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or SSD OR it can take a SATA M.2 type disk, but for that it takes an adapter that occupies the space where you would put the bigger drive. So the answer to your question, directly, is No. There is only designed space for a single hard drive. To add another you would have to use an optical (DVD) drive adapter which is not a perfect solution but is possible to do. 

Post back if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

So Ok, if i want to change the existing drive to SATA M2 SSD, i have to buy adapter? what this adapter is or what did you meant "drive with more size"? for the adapter about dvd i understanded perfectly.

HP Recommended

so if i want to put ssd m2 drive, i have to put an adapter. but this adapter works with SATA. what the profit? if its like i said, easy to buy ssd sata3 and put it, then buy adapter, ssd m2 and it will work like the first one? 

HP Recommended

There is no profit. It is what it is. An M.2 SATA connected through the same port as a 2.5 inch SATA SSD will perform about the same. So your laptop has the hardware needed to install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, but you would have to buy extra hardware to make an M.2 disk work and you would gain nothing in performance. Seems an easy decision what to do. 

HP Recommended

how can i get info about my dvd-rom? i want to know the size to buy the replacement kit to put my hdd, but i have to know the size? do i have slimdvd 9,5mm or 12,7 mm?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.