Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 15 (803 Views)

dv3t DVD Drive doesn't recognize DVD discs from Microsoft

The DVD-ROM drive in my dv3t laptop doesn't seem to recognize DVD-ROMs from Microsoft. It reads CD's fine, and it reads DVD movies fine. It even reads DVD-ROM's that I've created on another computer, with Microsoft software. Oh, and all the discs have worked on other computers, so it's not a problem with the disc.

I was having this issue, as well as a couple others, so last night I reformatted my computer from the recovery drive (at the moment it's running Windows Vista, but before I reformatted it was running Windows 7). The other problewms I was having seem to have been solved, but this problem with not being able to read certian discs wasn't fixed. I tried taking the DVD drive out and putting it back in a couple times, and after the first time I was able to read one of the discs (disc 1 of 2 that came for the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7), but when it asked me to put in the second disc, it couldn't read that, and not it doesn't read the first disc anymore.

A few months ago when I was having this problem I tried changing the region encoding of the drive. It had been unspecified, and I changed it to Region 1, but that didn't solve anything. I've also dried uninstaling the drivers, but that hasn't seemed to fix it either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 15 (770 Views)

Re: dv3t DVD Drive doesn't recognize DVD discs from Microsoft

Hi,

Considering that you've reinstalled the operating system and still have this issue with the CD/DVD drive it would point to a hardware problem with the drive, so it probably needs replacing.  If the notebook is still under warranty, return it to HP for repair.  If it's out of warranty, it's quite easy to replace the drive yourself.  Let me know if you need any further details regarding the replacement procedure.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Tutor
Message 3 of 15 (763 Views)

If it were a hardware problem, shouldn't the drive not be able to read any DVD's?

I'm beginning to think it might have to do with the discs being Universal Disc Format (UDF).

The laptop is out of warranty, If I do need to replace the drive, how would I go about doing that?

Provost
Message 4 of 15 (760 Views)

Hi,

A fault in an optical drive can show up in many ways ( ie It'll read CDs but not DVDs, single layer but not dual layer etc ).

Try the following to create a bootable Vista repair disc just to see if the CD/DVD drive is able to create this type of disc and more importantly, whether it will boot from it.

Download the file on the link below.

Vista 32 bit

This is a zipped file.  If you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip which can be used to open this file.  Simply right click the zipped file, select 7-Zip, select Extract Files and then click Ok.  You should now see another folder containing the ISO file.

You will need software to burn the ISO to a CD.  If you don't have this type on software installed, download and install ImgBurn and use this to burn the ISO to a CD.  When created see if your optical drive will recognise this disc by inserting it in to the drive and rebooting.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Tutor
Message 5 of 15 (754 Views)

Thanks.

Should it matter that I have Vista 64-bit?

Provost
Message 6 of 15 (751 Views)

Hi,

Here's the 64bit version.

Vista 64 bit

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Tutor
Message 7 of 15 (736 Views)

I made the disc using my laptop, and the drive was able to read the disc after wrinting to it. It was even able to boot from the disc (I didn't bother reinstalling Vista yet).

What would be the next step in determining whether or not I need to replace the drive, because so far it works fine. Aside from not being able to read the discs I had mentioned.

Provost
Message 8 of 15 (722 Views)

Hi,

Does the drive recognise a disc is present if you insert a Microsoft disc with Windows running rather than trying to boot from it?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Tutor
Message 9 of 15 (710 Views)

The computer recognized the disc you had me create (both in Windwos and to boot from), but it does not recognize the discs I've been having trouble with (the Windows 7 upgrade disc or Office 2010 discs).

Tutor
Message 10 of 15 (703 Views)

I'm beginning to think the issue may be with the drive's firmware, but I can't find any firmware online. Is there a resource I'm missing?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation