Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

So I have this laptop (dv5 1002nr) and of course right after the warrenty goes out so does the laptop. This computer originaly was a friends of mine who took it to Best Buy's Geek Squad and they told her to fix this laptop it would cost $400 if not more.

So to make a long story short she got a new computer and I helped her get set up and all that and then I asked since this laptop (that I have now fixed for free) wasnt working if I could have it. To her it was a useless piece of junk so she agreed.

After about an hour of testing resistors, transistors, etc I can verify that all the power throught the computer is as it should be. I spent maybe 30 minutes on Google to no avail and finally I decided to try everything. I started with new ram with no success. I tried all the silly little "trouble shooting tips" HP has for this laptop.  I'm running a little over 2 hours working on this seemingly pointless job when I finally manage to make it work.

I have done this about 3-5 times now and it works every single time.

First I take out all the ram and then turn it on. (of course it will not work)

Turn it off.

Then take out the processor and turn it on. (carefull)

Turn off.

Put the processer back in and turn it on.(still no work)

Turn off.

Put the ram back in and turn on.

This is what I have done and it works every time for me.

Since I'm only 17 and a tad short on money I can't just go around buying laptops like these with this problem and test this further.

If anyone else has this problem please try this and let me know.

Oh and HP thanks so much you "support" really helped me...at the expence of my wallet.

Oh and one more thing..

I did the "live chat" and they said that my laptop not having a display could be due to my hard drive or motherboard.

1. The hard drive would not effect my monitor not working. With or with out a hard drive the computer would POST.

2. Unless when he said the motherboard he also ment the processor he was wrong yet again.

3. This is a faulty laptop and I know other people have had this problem hopefully they read this insead of wasting their time with HP's "support".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

WOWWWWWW  -  After 2 years dead my DV-5 came back to life.

Turn On You computer - Press and hold ESC - Then the END key repetitively.

It worked for me 🙂

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Hey, I have the same problem with TX2500. Your steps didn't help, but these ones did:

- Turn on with RAM, but no CPU (taking out both would not fix it)

- Off

- On with both RAM and CPU

It worked for a couple of days, but now it's down again. Are there any ideas for a permanent solution?

HP Recommended

Hey, sorry for the late reply I figured this thread would just die. The fix would be to never turn off the computer. And I'm being serious. If you turn it off and it wont turn back on (sometimes it will turn on its so fickle) I just take a blowdryer on the hottest setting to the cpu area and warn up the entire botton of the laptop not so much the harddrive but ram and pretty much anywere else that has an oppening for air to get in. Just start heating it up and then keep trying to turn it on at the same time and maybe the 3rd or so time mine will start up it's worth a shot.

I have figured this to be either the CPU or socket but I really try not to open it much anymore since i found out how to start it without takign it appart (HUGE pain in the ass). Like I said just don't turn it off..sadly thats the only fix oh and sometiems restarts will make it black screen start also lol

Once I get a new laptop (alienware) or get another laptop with the same problem I will tinker with it till I find a solution that hopefully with me permanant.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.

Following the steps commented by you in the previous posts (removing RAM and processor, powering on and off, inserting CPU, powering on and off, inserting RAM, powering on), worked great for me, but it only lasted 45 minutes (until the first reboot).

Has any of you found a definitive solution for this issue?

Thank you very much in advance.

HP Recommended

This fix is for real. It definitely takes some time but it is worth the effort. The only question I have is.........What causes this problem? It happened to me again a few days after my initial fix. The only thing that I noticed is that the laptop crashed after it went to sleep mode. Is their a connection????

Thanks!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

How do you remove the processor?....can I remove it by removing the cover for it on the bottom or do I need to take the whole thing apart?

HP Recommended

Ok....took me about 20 minutes to totally dismantle the laptop and get to the cpu......what I would like to know now is how you are supposed to "power on" with all of the cables disconnected and the mobo removed from the laptop which is the only way to get to the cpu on this model (dv5-1002nr).....is this post a wild goose chase?...I sure as hell am not going to go thru this every time this piece of crap blacks out on me and hope that it works for an hour.

HP Recommended

Ok!...the blow dryer trick worked for me...once....for about 5 minutes before it forze up but with display still on....so....its not the video  "card"...pretty sure its not the ram or the chip....HAS TO BE THE MOTHERBOARD...and wouldnt ya know...they are almost $200 a pop.....I am going to go ahead and replace it....worth a shot......I will let you all know what happens.

HP Recommended

I am having this problem right now. I haven't tried to take out the CPU yet.

HP said that they never heard this problem  before. I bought this computer $699, barely 2 years old.

Out of warranty. I can tell you that I will never ever buy HP laptop computer anymore.

I have bought HP printers which last forever. But computer...no way I would buy HP anymore.

They should fix this problem for free. I even took it to Best Buys, and The geek squad told me that it's not worth the effort to look at it. They told me HP has the highest failure rate. They told me to buy Toshiba laptop.

I am frustrated with this situation. This computer was not cheap.

I talked to HP support, and they told me to spend $550 to buy a better HP computer. Huh? Not in million years.

Now I am trying to take this computer apart...take out the CPU out.

I will check out the Youtube to see if there is a clip which will show me how to take this computer apart.

If this CPU thing does not work out, then I will try to change the BIOS?

HP Recommended

I changed the BIOS. It's still not working.

I need a hammer! Any advice

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.