JimLitz Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 1 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv6-7000 can't write to SDHC cards ("write protected" error)

New dv6-7000 laptop (Win7 64-bit) has a problem I can't seem to solve:  When using any SDHC memory card you cannot write or erase files to the card.  You can read the files just fine, but you get a "Write Protected" error when trying to write or erase.   The card is, of course, not write protected, and can be written to in several other laptop/desktop SD drives that I've tried.   And I've tried different brands/sizes of SDHC cards.  Smaller capacity regular SD cards work just fine.  

I tried removing this device and rebooting to reinstall the hardware, but no help.

The Realtek SD Driver shows as version 6.1.7600.16385 in Device Manager properties, dated 6/20/06.  HP's support site shows a newer driver version 6.1.7601.29005 dated 2/24/12.  When I download and run sp56166.exe to update the driver, it seems to go through the update process successfully. But the driver still shows as the older version in Device Manager.  And, of course, the problem still exists. 

Any ideas would be much appreciated!  Hard to believe that a new dv6 laptop can't properly write or erase files from High Capacity SDHC memory cards.  

Thank you!

23 REPLIES
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5568 387 897
Message 2 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I understand high capacity SD cards return the message they are write protected in your system.

I take it the write protect switch is in the off/disable position on the card since they work in other systems.

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

What brand and model is the SDHC card?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
JimLitz Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 3 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply!   

Yes, I have ensured that the SDHC card's protect switch is unlocked.   Non HC SD Cards work fine.  It's only SDHC cards that produce this error.   

I haven't found many posts about this problem, so perhaps my dv6 has a defective SD Card Reader?   Or it's not able to install the latest driver properly?

The full product number is A3E87AV.   I tried several different Sandisk 8GB and 16GB SDHC1 (45MB/s) cards. Also tried a Lexar Professional SDHC 16GB (133x speed) card.   All have this same problem.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5568 387 897
Message 4 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I take it this was the driver that you installed, but it appears that the previous driver version is still listed. It doesn't list the fixes this driver provides, but we could try to update the driver manually.

Since the driver has already been installed, the extracted driver should still be available in c:\swsetup. If there is no setup folder, then it may just be c:\sp56166 instead.

1. Go to device manager and go back to the driver details in the properties of the card reader.
2. Select the option to update the driver and select browse.
3. Navigate to c:\swsetup (or c:\sp56166 if there is no c:\swsetup) and there should be a folder with the file name (sp56166). Open this folder and then open DriverBin_64bit.
4. Only the applicable drivers should be listed. Select the driver and follow the prompts to manually update the driver.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5568 387 897
Message 5 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was there any luck manually updating the driver?

Signature
0 Kudos
JimLitz Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 6 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help!  My daughter has the laptop at university, so I'm waiting for her to try your recommendation.  Stay tuned.  

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5568 387 897
Message 7 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are most welcome.  :)

I'll keep an eye out for your post.

Signature
JimLitz Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 8 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your patience and help ....

Daughter tried the steps you provided.  Driver "diskdrive" was found in the "DriverBin_64bit" folder.  Said it "has successfully updated".   But the problem still exists.   And the driver still shows "Microsoft, 6/21/2006, v6.1.7600.16385" in the device "Properties - Driver" tab.   

But I also found that several other computers I checked show this exact same driver for their SD Card Readers. For example, my HP Elitebook 8540p has a Ricoh SD Disk Device that shows that same driver.  And it works fine with SDHC cards.   My HP h8-1380t Desktop PC has a Generic SD/MMC USB Device that shows the same driver. And it also works fine with SDHC cards.

Any other ideas?   Defective SD card reader?  Very puzzling.  

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5568 387 897
Message 9 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does the lock switch feel like it is loose?  If so, it might be "sliding" into the lock position when being inserted.  I doubt that is the case since it has worked in other systems.

Verify that ReadyBoost has not been enabled for the card reader.  If it has, then it won't allow user write functions to the card.  This document from Microsoft details how to enable or disable readyboost.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
JimLitz Tutor
Tutor
13 0 0
Message 10 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting idea.  But no, it's not the SD card lock switch.  Doesn't matter what brand SDHC card I use.   And the card reader writes fine with non-SDHC (regular SD) cards.  It's just the HC cards that have this issue.  

And we've verified that ReadyBoost is not enabled.

Other ideas?   

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation