Post new question
Question
dv7 Left hinge pulling case apart? What the heck!
Replies (59)

Tutor
Message 51 of 60 (292 Views)

Re: dv7 Left hinge pulling case apart? What the heck!

I'm curious - anyone here who has had this problem repaired??  How are your cases now?

Top Student
Message 52 of 60 (284 Views)

Mine was repaired relatively quickly. I had it back in about a week. However, I suspect that the problem wasn't fixed, just the symptom. If the hinge was replaced with another faulty plastic hinge then I could be seeing the same problem again after the warranty expires.

My case manager did a great job communicating with me throughout the incident. HP has not. Instead, they seem to treat every issue as an isolated issue. I'd like to hear an acknowledgement of a bigger issue and what they plan to do to ensure quality control in the future. Aside from that, maybe a genuine apology would be better than a coupon to purchase more (possibly faulty) HP products.
Tutor
Message 53 of 60 (278 Views)

Agreed!  I looked at some other topics here & it seems like there are other models with similar products.  On 1 post, people were talking class action!!!

@Johnson1522  - How long have you had your computer back, since it was repaired?  

I bought an extended warranty last month, I think I'm glad I did!  I hope I don't have to ship it back every year for the same problem!!!!

I had a Dell Inspiron that lasted us about 8 years!  Granted everything was old & outdated, but we NEVER had a problem with the case!!!

Top Student
Message 54 of 60 (271 Views)

I had mine around 8 months, it was repaired, and I've had it back for under two months. If you look back through my old posts, you'll see I've had three HP laptops with no real problems to speak of. Still, one shouldn't have to buy an extended warranty on something that seems to be a design problem. I think that's why I'm annoyed at no word from HP explaining what they belive is happening.

One rep actually asked me if I was opening my laptop incorrectly, haha.
Tutor
Message 55 of 60 (265 Views)

That's ridiculous! How rude!!!

My thought is the screen is too heavy & the hinges need to be wider. But, what do I know?? I'm just a girl & a blonde Smiley Happy

I hope your case lasts longer than 8 months this time!!!

Top Student
Message 56 of 60 (260 Views)

Thanks, I wish the same to you.

I *think* the right hinge attatches to a metal port, while the left hinge attatches to a plastic port that often breaks away from the case. I'm assuming the plastic just isn't strong enough to support the stress. That's why they have to replace the entire bottom case... because it isn't actually a broken hinge, rather a broken case. Of course, I could be misinformed so please don't take my word for it.

I'm interested in seeing how things work out for you. Please keep me updated and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on th his thread.
Tutor
Message 57 of 60 (256 Views)

I'll definitely post how things go. I can't send it for a week or so, but will post & keep my eye on this as well.
Student
Message 58 of 60 (161 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too have had this problem with my Envy Dv7t-7200. Fortunately, I was able to replace the bottom case at my own cost, but it looks like I need a palm rest replacement and a full front and back LCD case.

What gives HP? I'm happy to do the install, but these parts are REALLY hard to come by.

Like many others, I'm just out of warranty

Honor Student
Message 59 of 60 (121 Views)

Hi Guys & Girls

Ive had my laptop for around 3 years now and DV7-7064EA and its puling itself apart from the left side hinge. surely that cant be right?  Any ideas wether HP will help or am I on my own?

The product should be fit for purpose???????

Top Student
Message 60 of 60 (96 Views)

Very sorry to hear about your issue.  I had a similar problem, except that both hinges started to go, and the separation of the case ended up dislodging the fan a bit (presumably), and the laptop would not longer start.

Told HP the same thing, product not fit for use.   The only answer I got was that the product is out of warranty, and so I am on my own.  (Of course, that's not a valid legal response to complaint of product not fit for use.)

Sad situation in the end.  Currently own 3 HP laptops, 1 Compaq laptop and 1 Compaq desktop, but unfortunately, neither I nor my large family will buy another HP product again, as this expensive laptop was defective from the get go (with hinges not operating smoothly early on), and HP apparently does not stand behind their defective products.

Stuck with $1,000 paperweight now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation