cancel
Mak-avelli Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 3
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv9000 series -Sick of searching I'm Fixing it NOW- Reboot loop ( DV9700 )

I have googled , watched 100's of "fix" videos, read forum posts all with no luck. So i've decided to solve it myself and I will post the full answers and useful suggestions ive found  here.  This is not another "bake your motherboard" type of solution i'm aiming for its merely a log of how i fixed this issue (when i do) I'll be updating it as i make progress the next update will be around march 5th. Most of us who are looking for answers to fix our 4-8 year old laptops don't have the money to buy another laptop or motherboard. Its a useless suggestion.

That being said useful Suggestions are welcome. 😃

===============================================================================

-========First problem-THE SEARCH----

- anyone who's had a problem with an HP laptop other than a "nvidia GPU" can tell you when you need to solve anything else wrong with your HP, all your search  results just lead back to that Nvidia chip. If that's not your issue it gets very frustrating. Ive looked for weeks for an answer so decided to take matters into my own hands and post a proper answer here.

---------------------------------------------------------

Laptop -DV9700 dv9810us----------

OS------------ none

hard drive-----none

Battery--------none

charger--------yes

CPU Type--------AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.0G

Graphics Card----NVIDIA GeForce 7150M

none needed, a laptop without a hard drive should always boot to bios. a reboot loop such as this one has nothing to do with your hard drive or windows. so for my whole breakdown and fix, I wont have a hd installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------My Actual Issue- ---

-I press the power button and it powers up blue lights turn on for a second, i hear the fan kick on then it shuts right back off and cycles itself through this on and off 1 second reboot loop until all sources of power are disconnected -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------Possible Quick Fixes--------

So along my long hunt for answers to this issue ive come across a few things that may help some of you.

+++++ This loop is caused by an electrical short in the system++

++ READ BEFORE DISMANTLING YOUR ENTIRE LAPTOP+++

-Possible cause-  a piece of dirt or metal ect stuck in a usb port

-TEST- check all ports for anything that may be stuck inside them

-Solution= take it out with a toothpick

-Possible cause- Bad dvd drive

-TEST- Flip over your laptop look at where the cd drive is. Approximately 5 and 1/2 inches from the center of the door

you will see a small screw (sometimes has a cd looking icon next to it) remove that screw, then simply wiggle out your cd drive from the side like an old Nintendo. if you feel so inclined to do so blow on it. not necessary but I did 😃

then just try to turn it on again. if same problem occurs you know its not that

-Solution- If that worked just buy a new dvd drive.

??-Bad ram- I honestly don't know if bad ram could cause this issue at all but it cant hurt to check. mines good, im pretty sure if your ram is bad the laptop just wont respond at all. I had 2 cards so i rotated them ivn various ways, tried using just 1 ect.

-TEST- make sure its properly seated and if available use other ram or test your ram in another working laptop.

If all this has failed.... cross the line (Que the scary music)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--------------------------- THE "YOUR ABOUT TO TAKE APART YOUR LAPTOP" LINE--------------------------------------

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-----------------Notes about being on this side of the line-------------

only proceed If your laptop is not covered under any warranty's

taking apart your computer will void them.

Also if your not "techy" just wait till I find a more definitive answer before bothering with all this hassle, I will post a proper section on the final verdict of what brings this beast back to life when i finish.

Now that you checked the basics its time to dig deeper.

I only mention ebay prices for these parts because that's how im ordering mine,  To find these parts i hunted down the originals and got the part numbers then entered that in the ebay search box then filtered through the knock offs until i found a quality part. to skip this hassle order from newegg or HP directly if available.

--------------------------Begin------------------------------------------

Keep good track of your screws--->  There are more holes than screws and its easy to lose track so I drew rough outlines of my motherboard  on a sheet of paper and marked black screws placement with an "X" and silver screw placement with an "O" all my screws i put in little duct-tape balls and taped them to their components. you could as suggested by "eli the computer guy", just tape them to your paper.  use 2 sheets 1 for the mobo and 1 for the bottom plate.

Disassembly- This is where finding the answers was easy with a simple youtube search, if you need a step by step video that is real-time, thorough and easy to follow. Below is the one i used on youtube, not mine but the guy is very good at explaining every step. note   be careful pulling the ribbon cable from the wifi switch, pull it from the motherboard side not the little board itself.  If like me you tried to pull it from the wrong side and broke it don't worry its only $2-$5
 on ebay part number 37AT9WB0006

Disassembly DV9000 series VIDEO LINK

Steps taken so far to narrow down my culprits after crossing "the line"

I looked for the obvious things first, liquids, foreign objects, residue, burnt spots, cracked solder, loose wires, damaged anything, ect ect nothing i can see besides the typical HP improperly placing a pad instead of a copper shim between the heatsink and the GPU chip. Although its not my current issue it will be an issue in the future so i bought copper shims for $1 each and some thermal paste to properly seat them when i put it back together for the last time.  I cleaned the fan made sure it spun properly

I disconnected everything

I removed the bios battery reinserted  the motherboard with just the the following plugged in

-power lead from the plug

-power ribbon from the power button to the motherboard (and fan)

-fan to the motherboard

-wifi switch

-external monitor via the vga port.

-keyboard ribbon to motherboard

-1 stick of 2gb ram

once all that was hooked up and set in place, i was 100% sure nothing was grounded out, I plugged it in to the power supply. I'm not a fan of being electrocuted, so i pressed the button with the back end of a plastic pen for the safety of me and my laptop.  IT WORKED!!! I stayed calm tho because i knew i wasn't out of the muck just yet. I saw the hp logo which is more life than i'd seen from her lately but i knew i had to shut her down and try again.... so i did. and wouldn't you have guessed it, it looped. I'm guessing it was only working for the moment because i previously pulled the bios battery, resetting the bios so it had to re-map out the issues to play it through on the next boot.  so back to square one i went.

------------------------------------

FIRST SUSPECT- The power button- (located on top of the assembly) Ive seen posts here where the problem was a sticker or gunk on the power button. make sure your power button is clean and when you press it, it feels like a button should and doesn't stay down.

--Power button Part number DAAT9TH28B2

mine seems fine and considering i the power passed through it to the motherboard I assume it is but since they only go for $4 on ebay i ordered one today to fully cancel it out as the culprit. (will update when it has been tried)

---------------------------

Second Suspect- The fan- There are 4 tiny screws on top of the fan pull those out and clean out the furry stuff that has more than likely gathered in your 4-8 year old laptop. The fan should spin quickly and smoothly when spun with your finger, if it doesn't its bad. Even if it DOES it may be faulty. considering this is such a common one to go and cause this quick reboot issue, im ordering another one tomorrow they're only about $10 on ebay as well

***WARNING NOTE*** THERE ARE 2 DIFFERENT HEATSINK MODELS THIS # IS FOR THE 438606-001 MODEL****
Part number for fan KDB05605HB

Third Suspect- the ribbon cables- Considering these are so cheap to replace and so fragile. im replacing these too. They're bent under the keyboard in such an awkward way they could easily be the culprit. the two im referring to are the power ones. be sure to measure both and get the right sizes for your model i found mine on ebay for $4 each
Part # E118077 AWM 2896 80C

------------------------

As of this date Thursday February 19th 2013 I stand with a dismantled laptop and parts from ebay on the way . I also have a soldering rework station for if i do run through all my possible options and need to properly reflow the gpu. I really doubt that's my issue because I saw the screen crisp and clear for that short time it did work during my first test without the usbs/ speakers/ monitor/hard drive/sound ports ect plugged into it.

My next update will be when my parts arrive and Ive completely reassembled the laptop with the new parts in it. Since some aren't expected for 2 weeks expect my update then if your having this problem and need an answer, I will find it even if i have to replace the whole laptop piece by piece.... except the motherboard.

6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
46281 40542 4386 11296
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Instead of complete disassembly...Why did you not consider removing the hard disk to see if the reboot loop stops.

That was the second thing you should have tested after the RAM.  A failed hard disk can cause reboots. 

With the hard disk removed you could have used a live distro of Linux to see if all of your hardware was OK. 

That way you could have isolated the cause and known if it was a hardware or operating system issue. 

Best regards,

erico

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Mak-avelli Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 3
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response but you did't read my full post. There is no hard disk, its not a software issue. Its electrical, The bios was reset and no hard disk has been installed since, when i do get it up and running i will install blank reformatted drive and intall a fresh copy of windows and the driver. I realized after the breakdown that i dhadent tried booting from a bootable iso but by then it was too late. im going to put it back togather tomarrow and do some mor troubleshooting. If it boots from the cd then i'll flash the bios. but i highly doubt its that simple. this is a no display whatsoever 1 second light flash, nothing on the monitor just on, off, on, off.  it acts too much like an electrical short.

0 Kudos
Mak-avelli Tutor
Tutor
13 12 0 3
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also i recived this computer with no hard drive at all, I own a DV7 and know its issues prettywell so i thought i'd give fixing this one a shot.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46281 40542 4386 11296
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

there is merit to a test a bootable OS ISO on a bootable usb flashdrive as well. It is cheaper because you don't have to burn it to a DVD|CD.

Good luck with it.
erico
If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
angrysquirrel Top Student
Top Student
3 3 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is so funny you are having the same type of problem I am having.  I am actually a computer repair tech and I have a customer's computer that I am at my wit's end about.  It is a DV9008nr that has the AMD Turion Proc with the NVidia Graphic Chip.  The person brought me this laptop to fix and let me give you the details:

1.  Ordered a fixed/refurbished motherboard from EBay

2.  Replaced with said MB and it worked for 2 weeks then customer brought it back in.

3.  Contacted EBay seller and returned it for fix/replacement.

4.  Received replacement and installed.

5.  Worked for ONE DAY, received call and stated it was doing the same thing again!

6.  EBay seller swears the MB tested good and it MUST BE something with the laptop.

This is what I don't get.  The original problem was it was doing the black screen, reboot loop (Power on, black screen, Media Bar lights and power indicator lights come on, wait 20 seconds, turns off, restarts and cycles the same events over again).  After putting in the replacement boards, if there was an electrical short or ribbon cabling problem, why would it work for 2 weeks or even 1 day or 1 second at all?  I even tore it down to just the board with the power button/ribbon cable and it would not stay on for longer then 20 seconds before the reboot loop.  I think I will try getting a new power button and ribbon cable to see it that fixes the problem as you stated in your first post as one of the things to try.  I will also keep you informed.  If you have any insight on MY plight, please let me know.

Thanks!

angrysquirrel

0 Kudos
TOMMYBROWN Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SO, HERE I AM WITH A SIMILAR SITUATION. I BOUGHT A DV9810US ON LINE AND IT HAS THE ISSUE OF: SYSTEM WILL NOT STAY ON PAST THE BIOS SCREEN.  SO, I CHECKED THE HARDWARE... BATTERY, MEMORY, HDD, BIOS BATTERY-> ALL GOOD.

I WAS ABLE TO GET INTO THE BIOS LONG ENOUGH TO CHECK THE BOOT ORDER. FOUND THE FLOPPY WAS FIRST & I AM LIKE WT*? WELL I CHANGED THE BOOT ORDER CORRECTLY AND SAVED THE SETTINGS. I ALSO DISABLED THE FLOPPY BOOT IN THE BIOS.

POOF! SYSTEM ACTUALLY & FULLY REBOOTED TO THE O.S. CALL IT BIOS CORRUPTION OR SOMETHING ELSE.  IT HAS BEEN UP AND RUNNING, EVEN TRANSFERING 31 GB OF DATA TO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE.

HOPE THIS HELPS FOR ANYONE ELSE GOING THROUGH THE HEADACHES.

THE BIOS WAS / IS AT F.34. RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP!

CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation