Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (162 Views)

eGPU for HP Probook 4540s

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Probook 4540s
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am just wondering whether I can put a eGPU on my HP Probook 4540s to play some of the more modern games and some of the games that are a few years old now on something like high to ultra graphics. I'm thinking something along the line of a NVIDIA GTX 960 or 970ish. I actually even found some GeForce GTX 1050's at a cheaper price so is there a way I could connect something like that to this laptop. It would be cheaper then trying to save for an actual gaming rig at this time. Thank you for any replies its much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: eGPU for HP Probook 4540s

See p. 69 of the Manual here:

Manual

You get one of these:

http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html?currency=USD&vip=760163&gclid=CJ3pq8XuntMC...

Plug the adapter into the wireless slot, a video card into the dock, and a desktop power supply into the dock. You also need an external monitor. 

These are reported to work. I have tried to discourage it because I do not like the idea of running this with the back cover off the laptop and the wireless slot was not made for this. You are trying to cram 16x video traffic through a 1x lane. However, users report decent frame rates from these things. You would still be looking at several hundred dollars by the time it is all said and done. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (107 Views)

that would work on my laptop though right... like im not gonna buy this stuff and it isn't compatible or something like that...

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (100 Views)

My best advice on something like this is "not". So you are not going to get me to guarantee it will work. Quite the contrary. I think likely it would work for a while and then cause damage to your laptop. Contact the seller for their point of view. Whenever you do these kind of hacks to computer hardware you are on your own out there. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation