Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
envy x360 ryzen5 2500u

Hello i'm not good at english and i am korean. if my words are weird, please understnad them.

I tried to ask korea hp about this trouble but they didn't know well about foreign hp products. So i decided to ask here.

When I connect my laptop to my external 4k monitor with usb-c I can feel the performance is decreased. When I normally use the laptop with cover opened,  the gpu clock is more than 400mhz and the cpu is over 2ghz even the cpu tempurature  is 70℃.

But when I connect to the monitor the gpu clock is 200mhz and the cpu is below 1.5ghz while the cpu tempurature is 50℃. I changed all heat profiles from hp command center but  it didn't work. I wonder this downclock is for some reason(the heat might burn the laptop's screen?) or just fault of hp. I will appreciate if someone would reply this post.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@gwon
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• What is the exact product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  
Firstly, let's perform BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for reply

My laptop's bios version is F.35 and this is the latest firmware. I think the bios is okay. My laptop is still so slow with external monitor. 4k 30p videos cannot be played smooth with tis situation. Is there any way to solve this?

HP Recommended

My laptop's model number is 2ZX60AV.

HP Recommended

@gwon

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked updates but nothing appeared. The lesft window is windows update and the right one is hp support assistant.스크린샷(4).png

HP Recommended

@gwon

thank you for the information,

• Have you tried playing videos in 1080p? 
  • Have you tried with default display resolution?
  • Does it happen only when connected to the external monitor?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I played 4k 30p and 60p videoes on youtube. But even there is full buffer size the video stops frequently and 4k 60p video is worse.

In detail, when I start playing the video gpu clock is so high (at least 600mhz)that 4k 60p video is played smoothly but as time goes the clock starts to decrease and finally reach 200mhz even with low gpu temperature. This happenes when I play games too.  (I applied all the heat profiles from command center. If I change the profile, the clock was reseted to high clock speed as I played video or game right now. After that clock speed started decreasing. This is same playing game on laptop screen but the clock speed is above 200mhz with high gpu temperature. )

I played 1080p videoes on 1080p laptop screen and 4k monitor, they are played smoothly.

HP Recommended

@gwon
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and check the display settings. 
HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Display settings are not important. The PROBLEM is the laptop cannot use the maximum performance connecting to external monitor. I upload screenshot about display settings. Fps of the display is 60hz, bit depth 10bit, color format YCbCr444.스크린샷(6).png

I hope this screenshot contains display settings you need.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.