Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (214 Views)

fingerprint reader problem Envy 15 TS

Envy 15 TS j-063cl laptop

Windows 8.1 update 1 (shipped with win 8.0)

Sporadically, the blinking light on the figerprint reader would stop working.  Once the light was not working the reader itself would not work.

This happened last night.

I rebooted the computer and the reader was not blinking, but Windows was receiving bad data from the device because Windows kept registering an incorrect read.

Full power off and battery removal did not change the situation. I then entered in to the BIOS settings hoping that there would be some control in there or a diagnostic function. There is not.

After it booted again, it must have done a full boot (rather than quick boot) and the reader worked, but the light did not.

I started a tech support session with HP. The tech uninstalled SimplePass and removed the fingerprint reader from the device list in the device manager. He updated by system BIOS (F.56) and installed the new SimplePass and hardware driver. (SimplePass Version 8.00.57, Fingerprint driver Version 4.5.228.0)

While it now reads my fingerprints, the light still does not work.

Also, the fingerprints do not appear to be registered with Windows itself, but rather with the SimplePass software.

Now when I see the lock screen, there is a big ugly SimplePass window imposed on it in the upper left region.

Is there a way to make the light work again?

Is there a way to register the prints directly with Windows and/or get rid of the garish white window on the lock screen?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 2 (190 Views)

Re: fingerprint reader problem Envy 15 TS

[ Edited ]

Hi rauld,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp you were having an issue with the fingerprint reader. You contacted HP support and the updated the bios and updated the driver and the software.  The fingerprint reader now works but the light does not come on.

The fingerprints do not appear to be registered with Windows itself, but rather with the SimplePass software.

On the lock screen you see a Simplepass windows superimposed in the upper left corner.

Have you tried the built in troubleshooter in Windows 8?

I would run a hardware test just to rule that possibility out. Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8)

If the issue persist, I suggest contacting HP support again.

Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region HP Technical Support Sitemap.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation