Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17TK200 CTO (Energy Star) i7-5500U 4thGEN i7 8GB
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to upgade to Windows 11 and need to activate TPM 2.0. My BIOS Security Tab only shows setting up Admin password. I chatted with Microsoft who wanted to know if there was a BIOS option and I tolf them that BIOS Version was F43 and they said that HP can activate TPM. 

I have since updated the BIOS to F53 from HP Driver Download. Also the ChipSet

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

There is not going to be chat support for a model of that age. Why do you think TPM 2.0 is available on that laptop? The Service Manual makes no mention of its being a feature of the laptop. And you do not absolutely need TPM 2.0 to install Windows 11:

https://geekculture.co/how-to-bypass-tpm-2-cpu-requirement-to-install-windows-11/

HP Recommended

I saw that article earlier before contacting Microsoft. My impression is that you need some type of TPM like 1.2 but still TPM. Microsoft said that HP can easily provide TPM for i7 5500U which he said will be supported by Windows 11.

HP Recommended

You do not just supply TPM. It had to be installed at the factory. Its hardware. If it had TPM 1.2 in some cases a BIOS update will upgrade the TPM firmware to level 2.0 but I see no indication your model has that feature. Make sure you are upgraded to the latest BIOS and if you still do not see TPM in the BIOS your laptop does not have a TPM module on the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Hello
is this microsoft, or a user who responds for microsoft?
They have information that we do not have
a priori , if you have no option, no updates etc, hp, will not activate anything at all
already see if it is in the list, but I doubt it:

HP PCs – Support for Windows 11 | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

can i buy the module and install it or its part of the motherboard?

HP Recommended

Hi, @GolfMan2000 

On notebooks, the TPM is an integral part of the motherboard.

HP did not start installing TPM 2.0 chips in consumer class notebooks until the Intel Skylake models came out.

As Huffer indicated, you don't need a TPM to install W11.

Also your notebook's processor does not meet the requirements for a direct upgrade to W11.  Intel notebooks need to have 8th gen core processors installed.

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I use the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images,

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

HP Recommended

so i have created media creation tool for both 10 and 11 so that i can go back to 10 if 11 is unstable. However when i boot to 11 media tool the next is greyed out...so i can't go any further for clean installing 11

HP Recommended

Can you post a screen shot or describe exactly where that is happening?

I had no problem booting from the USB flash drive created by the W11 media creation tool.

I installed W11 in EFI mode with secure boot disabled, because the PC would not boot from the USB flash drive with secure boot enabled.

Then I re-enabled secure boot after W11 was installed.

HP Recommended

Since I am Booting into UEFI USB Media Creatiion Drive loaded with Windows 11 the Screen Shot is not possible. I brought installation issue with Microsoft who says that since my machine is not compliant there is no way to install Windows 11 as a clean install. However they said that I can "Canabalize" Windows 10 by Windows 11. But since the machine is not compliant the stability of machine is not guaranteed. And, if it is stable now it may not be after one of many updates. This is further complicated by the fact that this is my development machine using Visual Studio.

I asked them if they know Free Disk Imaging Utility. They couldn't recommend. I see your reference one which I will explore.

Thank You!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.