Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptop "probook 4540"gets "SMART drive imminent failure message"   3 times  ,then I can't open it now.  can i fix it ?

while checking my hard from  Diagnostics in BIOS"Quick check " , it says "check failed".

how to make sure that my hard failed or not?

I tried to connect it with another computer to scan  bad sector ,I see all partitions but No  partition  opens . how to scan it?

I tried to disable smart message  property from BIOS  ,but I can't find it in BIOS settings how to disable this message to open ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Why would you disable it? That would be like putting a Post-it Note over the check engine light on the dashboard of your car. 

If the Quick Check failed your hard drive needs replaced. 

HP Recommended

I want to disable it  to enable me  to open my device  to transfer some data from it  before it fails completely

HP Recommended

You assume the message is what is blocking access. Not so. If the drive were still functional to boot from you could get past the message.

No the best way to get data off of it if that is even possible is to remove it from the laptop and attach it with a usb to SATA adapter to another computer and harvest the files you need. 

HP Recommended

I tried to   connect it with another  computer to get data , I see all partitions but  No partition opens to get data from them

HP Recommended

Then it is badly corrupted and you will have to use recovery software or sometimes if you connect it to a computer running Linux it can see the data since Linux reads hard drives a little differently than Windows. Post back with any more questions. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.