Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

control panel/mouse there are no controls to do this, nor is there an icon in the tray for it. please help thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Work unfortunately :generic:

Try disabling the Synaptics pointing device in windows Device Manager as shown in the link below.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/disabledvxp.htm

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
CNF5332T1L
EC214UA#ABA
XPhome addition
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, download and install the Synaptics Touchpad Driver on the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33751.exe

After the installation has completed, restart the notebook.

Open windows Control Panel and open Mouse - click the Device Settings tab, select the Synaptics device and you should have the option to Disable or Turn Off the touchpad.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
It says there is a newer version on the pc if I want to intall this one remove the other one in add/remove. It is not on the list in add remove.
HP Recommended

This touchpad is doing strange things like just moving the cursor over things in a browser causes them to activate, I am not sure if it's not a mechanical issue a one of the buttons feels different from the other. I was hoping to just deactivate it, can I manually delete the driver somewhere and stop it from working?

HP Recommended
OK where did the cavalry run off to?
HP Recommended

Hi,

Work unfortunately :generic:

Try disabling the Synaptics pointing device in windows Device Manager as shown in the link below.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/disabledvxp.htm

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It seems that you are trying to dodge the bullet, the question is simple, Is there a way to disable the touchpad or not.

This problem is not just with compaq laptops, both my compaq and asus laptops have the same problem and I put it down to the touchpads  but cannot find a way to disabable them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.