Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 17-ak045ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add ssd to slot M.2 . I want to know what type of SSD is compatible with this M.2 slot? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SATA M.2 only such as the Samsung 860 Evo M.2:

Service Manual

start on p. 39 for bottom cover removal and find this:

M.2 slot circled in redM.2 slot circled in red

I strongly encourage you to open the laptop before you buy upgrade parts just to be sure the slot is really there and to find out if you need a mounting screw in addition to the M.2 SSD. Good luck. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

SATA M.2 only such as the Samsung 860 Evo M.2:

Service Manual

start on p. 39 for bottom cover removal and find this:

M.2 slot circled in redM.2 slot circled in red

I strongly encourage you to open the laptop before you buy upgrade parts just to be sure the slot is really there and to find out if you need a mounting screw in addition to the M.2 SSD. Good luck. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I photographed slot M.2. And it is not clear to me whether ssd will work here with nvme?

And is it possible to put ssd form factor 2280?

The documentation for the laptop does not say what type of ssd can be installed.

https://pp.userapi.com/c852320/v852320105/81024/4YgcM0xgJDM.jpg

Although for example in the documentation for other laptops are specified types of ssd that can be installed.

https://pp.userapi.com/c852320/v852320105/81035/fDVe-FVdU04.jpg

HP Recommended

Nvme will NOT work. SATA only per the Service Manual. And yes there is a mounting screwhole on the edge of the case but you will need to get a screw. 2280 is the only length that will work. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much !!!)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.