Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Have as of many years this notebook running fine. As of yesterday it does not want to turn on anymore.

No response on Esc to enter BIOS. fan runs/blows, light show on around the toughpad, but that's it.

Some days befor ethis this problem also showed up as of press the powerbuton for some time and turn the pc on again let it run/start. But as of today... I tried already more than 15 times.. not boot, no bios.

Can not enter the bios as to press the ESC key.

power is on, with power adapter the battery is loading.

tried already removing the memory modules and replace them.

tried by attaching a external monitor on the CGA to show something but also that did not go.

looks like bios is empty or so ?

How to recover this?

Dead - and of life of this laptop ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi SouthAndSunny,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion dv7-3020 Notebook and getting a blank or black screen on startup. Try performing a hard reset. When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices. If that does not help try to turn on the computer you start to press F10 repeatedly till the menu opens. You can do a restore BIOS to defaults. If that does not help on startup start to press F2 and you can run system diagnostics (takes a while).

Could you try reseating the HDD? With the flashing lights continually it could be the BIOS.  Have you tested the HDD?

If reseating the HDD does not help try reseating the memory.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

None of the key-stroke pressing during power-on works.

Black screen forever..

I replaced HDD with one I know works. no boot

I switch the 2 memory banks. no boot

On the the front only the powerled (leftside) is on, if i attach the poweradapter the powerloading indicator turns also on.

On the keyboard the led of speaker en wifi keep showing Red. The others (speaker volume, fast revise, play, fast forward en stop) are normal white.

Pressing num lock key does not turn on the numlock led.

Toughpad led is on, white.

No beeps if pressing, holding keys during power-on.

When pressing poweron key I continiously pressed down Esc or (oher attempts) F2 of F10. Or toggled one them continously after turn on the pc with the poweron.

No devices (ucb, nor cards) are attached.

Would this look like the bios itself is gone?

Only remarkable is I hear the fan turns around and those startup led.

Looks like the system does not even find the Bios or so.

Can something done on this, repearable or does this mean end of this pc, need to buy one 😞

<updated>

As of last attempt i removed the Cmos battery and left is laying around some time.

Next boot the system showed bios information on the screen

I set date/time and started.. it's running again.

Remarkable.. system gets very hot and fan is running hard and noisy..

I looked at fan / dust but no clear sign of any.

i most likely need to open the box some more and find fan  air flow blockers....

thanks for the suggestions..

HP Recommended

Hi SouthAndSunny,

Here is a document on overheating. In this document it does offers Fan runs constantly at the bottom of the page.

What is the new HDD model?

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I removed the Samsung SSD 830 120Gb and brought back the slower HDD as delivered on factory shipment in the system

Succes in boot the system again. The system boots again, most times it needs two time to get in a running state. First boot no Rom text on the screen, hard switch-off, boot again makes it start.

The fan still runs a lot but it looks like the SSD take that many more of the CPU power that is gets overheated and needs to cool more than when running with the HDD.

Cleaning the system is a (too) hard way for me. I studied the many youtubes on this laptop about cleaning the Fan and getting the complete pc disassembled, cleaned and assembled again. :Crying:

The SSD brought my laptop in a fast response system, now with Hdd it's slow again.

As conclustion it looks like this type of laptop can not use SSD as storage as it makes the CPU go hot and the fan to run continiously and noisy. a pitty...

HP Recommended

I've removed the disk and memory from this laptop and returned it to the scrap store.

Disk is living happy in another pc and memory is waiting for another chance.

I expect the motherboard died as of heat...

So at the end no luck anymore to clean it / repair it

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.