Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
laptop 15-db0003ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I have a laptop 15-db0003ca, with 1TO HDD, and I would like to switch with a 500GB SSD, I would like to know if I need something else to made the changing or if only the ssd 2.5 would be ok?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the drive in your PC is 2.5" and the SSD will fit right in its place and use the same mounting hardware.

I also believe that since your notebook has a Ryzen processor, it should have a M.2 slot that supports a NVMe SSD, and those provide 3x to 5x time faster sequential read/write speeds than SATA SSDs do.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Swapping out the 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD is a direct swap.

The only thing you will need to do is to reinstall Windows on the new SSD.

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the hard drive removal and replacement procedure...

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

HP Recommended

HI, 

thanks for your reply, not sure if the HDD is 2.5 but I guess??

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the drive in your PC is 2.5" and the SSD will fit right in its place and use the same mounting hardware.

I also believe that since your notebook has a Ryzen processor, it should have a M.2 slot that supports a NVMe SSD, and those provide 3x to 5x time faster sequential read/write speeds than SATA SSDs do.

HP Recommended

so, I should open it before buying to be sure and see which one I can buy?

HP Recommended

Yes, I would definitely do that.

Here are a couple of service videos that can also be of help to you...

Remove base

HP Support - YouTube

Remove battery

HP Support - YouTube

Location of SSD (if applicable).

Replace the Solid State Drive | HP Notebook 15, HP 250 and 255 G7 Notebook PC | HP - YouTube

HP Recommended

this is what I have;

PXL_20220112_000106747.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, your notebook has the M.2 slot to install a NVMe SSD.

I have drawn an outline where the drive installs, and you can see the details in the video I posted earlier today.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1641947811066.jpeg

If you want to continue to use the hard drive for storage you can do that, or you can just remove the drive and use the M.2 NVMe SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.