Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP pavilion x360 13-s120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can the HP pavilion x360 13-s120 use an SSD for Windows 10? I have cloned my hard drive to SSD and when I install it says please install an operating system. I have also tried a fresh install of Windows to the SSD and it (and I) cannot find the required drivers. Is there a new BIOS that needs to be installed?  Or is this scenario impossible?

I will welcome any suggestions at this point.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @MEG43,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide:

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you have cloned the original drive to another SSD but when you try booting to it, you see the message to install an operating system. You then tried a fresh install of Windows 10 to not avail. HP does not recommend cloning the drive but rather to use HP Recovery Media to restore the computer back to factory settings.You did inquire about updates and drivers also. Here is a link to:

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

Is the new SSD a supported replacement?

Here is a link to the HP Pavilion x360 Convertible PC (model numbers: 13-s000 through 13-s099) Maintenance and Service Gui.... Please note chapter 3, page 17, item 15 for he recommended replacements.

You may wish to review this post by @erico to assist you:

Re: How to upgrade your notebook to a SATA 2.5" SSD

When you provided your model, you did not include the two letters that should follow. An example would be 13-s120nr .  I am including a  link to the HP Customer Support  page.  Please input your model and click on the software and driver option on the page.

Please let me know the outcome.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the “Thumbs Up” below is a great way to say thanks!   :generic:

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @MEG43,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is a fantastic site to find information, tips, and suggestions. For you have the most rewarding experience please review the HP Forums Guide:

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that you have cloned the original drive to another SSD but when you try booting to it, you see the message to install an operating system. You then tried a fresh install of Windows 10 to not avail. HP does not recommend cloning the drive but rather to use HP Recovery Media to restore the computer back to factory settings.You did inquire about updates and drivers also. Here is a link to:

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

Is the new SSD a supported replacement?

Here is a link to the HP Pavilion x360 Convertible PC (model numbers: 13-s000 through 13-s099) Maintenance and Service Gui.... Please note chapter 3, page 17, item 15 for he recommended replacements.

You may wish to review this post by @erico to assist you:

Re: How to upgrade your notebook to a SATA 2.5" SSD

When you provided your model, you did not include the two letters that should follow. An example would be 13-s120nr .  I am including a  link to the HP Customer Support  page.  Please input your model and click on the software and driver option on the page.

Please let me know the outcome.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the “Thumbs Up” below is a great way to say thanks!   :generic:

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

My computer is HP Pavilion x360 13-s120ds.  I have tried nearly every combination of suggestions with no success yet. I am taking a break because physically installing the SSD is very tiring what with having to remove the keyboard to access the hard drive compartment.  I guess this model was not made for ease of upgrading! I did buy a pig in a poke though so it's all on me...should have done more research before purchase.

I am ready to call it quits with my Crucial MX200 SSD (it will work in my other computers) and have ordered a Samsung 850 EVO.  Will report back results after trying it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

HP Recommended

Also...who ever thought that having to remove every other component of the computer to access the memory was a good plan? Memory and hard drives are the two components most often upgraded and HP seems to have gone out of their way to make it difficult with this particular configuration.  I would like to get inside the brains of the design engineers!

HP Recommended

I believe the key item to success was using the Samsung 850 EVO ssd. I did have some minor problems...the Samsung software could not recognize the drive...but I plugged on and cloned the new Samsung drive using the Macrium Reflect software.  It cloned the drive in 8 minutes (only 42 GB is currently being used). I also did update the BIOS to the most current (figured it couldn't hurt) and then installed the Samsung ssd  and it booted up without the first snag. 

According the taskmanager the boot time is now 1.9 seconds instead of the previous 4.7.  This doesn't sound like much but the computer runs so fast I can barely keep up with it now!

I never did upgrade the memory from its 4GB to 8GB but with the new SSD I think I'll be very happy.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum about their experiences with HP and converting to SATA SSD!

HP Recommended

Hi Meg, I don't know if you'll get this as it is two years after you left your post on the HP forum.   I would like to replace my Hard Drive on my HP Pavilion 13-s120 also.    I'm so glad I saw your post about using a Samsung EVO SSD rather than using a Crutial SSD.   A while back, I updated my desktop computer (Dell) to a SSD, and I also found it to be much easier to use a Samsung SSD.    I also saw where HP recommended that you just use the 'recovery' files to get the OS onto your SSD.  However, the recovery files only restore the computer to what it was when it was purchased - (all your programs and data would still have to be reinstalled by you. 

I'm wondering Meg, if you tried using Samsung's cloning software, or if you just went straight to the Macruim Reflect Software?    I look forward to your reply.   Thank you so much.   Kent

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.