Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavillion 15-cw0983na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys, im wanting to upgrade the dive in my hp pavillion 15-cw0983na laptop but im confused as to what to buy.

I havent opened it up yet (still has 9 months of warranty) and want all the info before I have a go at this.

Whats confusing me is that on the crucial website theyre showing bot a std sata and m2.ssd as compatable with this laptop.

does this mean it has a std 128gb sata ssd and space for a extra M2.ssd or what??

On HP's specs it says its 128 Gb m2.ssd yet on other sites Ive looked at they says its mechanical which suggests its a sata drive.

also if it is M2.ssd are there different interfaces or do they all fit ??

...   any info would be appreciated.

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your laptop came from the factory with a 128 gig M.2 SSD. 

This is the Service Manual:

Manual

Inside it is laid out like this:

M.2 SSD = red oval HDD = green rectangleM.2 SSD = red oval HDD = green rectangle

The 128 gig M.2 SSD is a SATA type but the laptop will alternately support an NVME type which is much faster. You have the option to install a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or SSD, but for that you need extra hardware that was not supplied with your laptop. These parts are hard to locate and not cheap so your best upgrade option is to install a larger capacity M.2 SSD. I always recommend the Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus models. This would be a capacity upgrade and a major performance upgrade. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S500BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MFBLN7K/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=970...

Post back with any questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Your laptop came from the factory with a 128 gig M.2 SSD. 

This is the Service Manual:

Manual

Inside it is laid out like this:

M.2 SSD = red oval HDD = green rectangleM.2 SSD = red oval HDD = green rectangle

The 128 gig M.2 SSD is a SATA type but the laptop will alternately support an NVME type which is much faster. You have the option to install a 2.5 inch SATA hard drive or SSD, but for that you need extra hardware that was not supplied with your laptop. These parts are hard to locate and not cheap so your best upgrade option is to install a larger capacity M.2 SSD. I always recommend the Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus models. This would be a capacity upgrade and a major performance upgrade. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S500BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MFBLN7K/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=970...

Post back with any questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

thanks for the prompt reply, I'll look into it and decide what im going to get but the info is much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi a couple more questions if I may .. firstly what do you think of the following, the speeds seem decent even tho they arnt upto the level of the one you suggested (just browsing options at the moment)

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/pavilion-15-cw0983na/CT14826538

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/pavilion-15-cw0983na/CT14826513

also ive seen numbers like 2280 quoted, am i right in assuming thats the dimensions of the drive??  if thats right whats the maximum this laptop will take please ?

once again many thanks

HP Recommended

I am not a huge fan of the Crucial M.2 SSDs but they would work. 2280 is the physical size of the M.2 SSD/ 22mm wide 80 mm long and is called the "form factor". There is no capacity limit on the M.2 except what you can find to buy and what your budget permits. I have seen SATA M.2 SSDs up to 4 TB and NVME M.2s up to 2 TB but you may be able to find larger capacity ones just keep one hand on your wallet as the biggest ones come at a price premium.. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, can I ask why?? is it because of the speed difference or have you had a bad experience with them ?

as always I appreciate your time and feedback on all of this  ..

HP Recommended

Crucial sells for the masses. Cheaper not quite as good. Bud Light vs. a craft microbrew. There's room for both in the market. Enjoy.

HP Recommended

thanks for all your help and sorry for the late reply.

I really appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.