Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

HP Spectre x360 15-bl0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The area around my touch pad creaks with just the weight of my palms. I've tried unscrewing and rescrewing the t5 screws on the backplate, but the creaking problem still persist. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 824 1416
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

@QuanBui

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre 15-bl000 x360 Convertible PC. I read that the area around the touch pad creaks with just the weight of your palms. You have tried unscrewing and re-screwing the t5 screws on the backplate, but the creaking problem still persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

Before we conclude this as a mechanical issue, I request you to check a few things for me, please:

• Does the noise appear while the laptop is off? If yes then it is a mechanical issue. If not then we need to isolate the issue further.
  • Do you see any cracks or damages to the laptop?

If the noise appears while the laptop is off then I recommend you to contact our HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. 

Please feel free to let me know. Good luck! :)

0 Kudos
QuanBui Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

Yes, the creaking noise is present when the laptop is off. I have never dropped it or significantly banged it.

I don't want to say that it's creaking like really loud, but I can feel a bit of flex, like squished in a way, when typing or handling the bottom portion of the laptop. I think something is wrong with the backplate, even after rescrewing it. I can easily push the backplate so that it depresses and touches the internals. The front aluminum surrounding the touchpad/keyboard seems solid, so I feel like the pressure is being transferred to the loose backplate which causes it to flex. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 824 1416
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

@QuanBui

Thanks for your reply. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. 

I suggest you to contact our HP phone support to check out the service options available for your laptop. 

Good luck! :)

0 Kudos
step16 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

I am facing exactly the same issue. If you could kindly tell me how you resolved this issue with HP since I have all my data in the laptop  and would hesitate to part with it in case it needs to be repaired or replaced.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 919
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

Greetings @step16

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are getting a creaking noise around the touchpad, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

The issue you are facing is a hardware issue, recommend you contact our phone support to check on the service options available for your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
dav747 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

My HP Spectre 13 x360 makes terrible noises when you tilt the screen, and it is very poor build quality. This is the last straw for me buying hp products. I've had severable problems with HP in the past, and I was already on edge between the spectre and a lenovo 920. I'm starting to regret my decision. Please Help.

0 Kudos
Riveredger Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

Did you ever get the creaking sound resolved?  I just bought a new X360 Spectre 15T yesterday and have already found the creaky sound to be disappointing.

0 Kudos
OskieBear Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp spectre x360 creaking

No solution ever appeared.  Due to how I mostly use this in my lap or on a laptop cooling pad I don't have that bad of an issue.  If I rest my palms on the front though it still creaks.  I have had it for a while now, and at least it hasn't gotten any worse....

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation