Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360, model 13-4003DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear friends,
Unfortunately, I am back to the forum. Last time the subject laptop had issues with motherboard and thankfully the motherboard was replaced by HP. My daughter says it worked for a couple of days and then it started shutting down randomly ("Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart..."). I spent several months trying to fix it (hardware diagnostic, reset to factory, wiping everything and reinstalling, recovery etc.). It keeps shutting down >10 times a day. It is a laptop for a school. So, she kept using it, but I feel sorry for her. Now I have saved some money and think I just need to send it to somewhere for repair.
My questions:
-could you kindly recommend a good and not expensive repair shop for HP spectre x360, in the vicinity of MD, DC, VA ?
-could HP repair it and how to send it for repair?
-could HP buy it back and what are the procedures?
Thank you for your help,
Aibek

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

We need to run hardware diagnostics on it. Unfortunately the 13-4xxx series has been prone to motherboard problems and its not impossible you have another motherboard failure. Is the battery charging? Have you tried a diagnostic on the hard drive and memory? Tap esc as you power up then F2 and component tests and run the long test on both.

If it is the motherboard then there is simply not going to be a good and not expensive repair shop anywhere. The best I can offer is some shops where you can send the laptop in and they rework the motherboard replacing bad chips. Costs $125-150. 

Parts and labor to replace the motherboard is going to run $4-500. We can also try escalating to HP. You would have been far better off to report this when the problem first cropped up after the motherboard was replaced. How long ago was that? 

HP Recommended

@aibekbai1

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, Huffer,

We conducted the hardware diagnistics and no problem was reported. We also reset and wiped out everything and then reinstalled the OS. But to no avail. The device keeps shutting down. We should have reported the problems right away (or rather buy something else, given it did not work a single day), but my kid needed the notebook for school and we were hoping to fix the drivers etc.

I am ready to spend some money on it (~200) to try to repair and would appreciate if you /or forum could help with recommendations of good repair shop. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Why don't you wait a bit to see what HP offers. If you are not happy with their proposal come back and I will find you a shop online where you can ship the laptop off to be repaired in a high tech facility that will rework the motherboard and return it to you working or charge you nothing. It is impossible for us here at the Forum to recommend local mom and pop type repair shops. We can't be familiar with such places outside where we live and work. And as I said if you go to a local shop they will want to replace the motherboard...the board might cost $250-300 and they will charge $150-200 labor. Better to get a new laptop. 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, Huffer

I was contacted by HP and they say that the guarantee period  expired etc. HP is not what it used to be. At this stage the last resort option is to  try the third party repair shop and I would appreciate it if you could kindly let me know which ones have good reputation.

Best regards,

Aibek

HP Recommended

We had another user a year or so ago use this shop and reported success:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-SPECTRE-X360-13-4000-13-4103DX-Laptop-Motherboard-Flat-Rate-Repair-Servi...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.