Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G5

I have a HP 250 G5 from 2016 and motherboard has gone. How and where would i get a replacement either used or new . Also if i take the ssd out of that laptop and connect to another pc via m.2 to usb , will the ssd be encrypted as if the laptop with broken board cannot be repaired how do i recover my work, photos and other content if ssd is encrypted ? 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Intel Core i7-6500U processor 858579-601

This is a used, but tested board sold by a high ranked Chinese seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-HP-250-G5-15-AY-Motherboard-LA-D704P-858581-601-I5-6200U-858579-601-I...

You would have to add in a CMOS battery but could reuse the one on your existing board or they are used in hearing aids so sold at drug stores or from amazon for a couple pounds. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello,

If your SSD is encrypted (bad idea) on your laptop, you couldnt access data with another PC.

To replace the motherboard, first of all you have to identify what motherboard you have. Cause this unit is sell with different processor and §I guess with different motherboards. Then you could try on AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/hp-250-g5-motherboard.html.

You should find what you want.

Have a good one.

Regards

HP Recommended

hi thanks for reply

i dont know if ssd is encrypted i was hoping someone could tell me if hp always encrypts their ssds ..also if it encrypted then is the tpm chip on the broken motherboard because if it is then wouldnt replacing the motherboard still not allow me to access the data on the ssd?

also i have a hp 250 g5 as stated and have the serial number and product number of the base is this all i need to buy the replacement  and do hp sell them if so where do i look?

thanks again

HP Recommended

HP would not have encrypted the disk from the factory so unless you chose to encrypt it there is no encryption. Just need the specs of the laptop to find the part number of the motherboard. Any 250 G5 motherboard will fit in the chassis but assume you do not want to downgrade. You could theoretically use this as a chance to upgrade specs. 

Service Manual 

See p. 34 for a list of 250 G5 motherboards and one big issue is whether you have a touchscreen. Pick your part number and it can likely be found online. 

HP Recommended

I'm not working for HP, I'm just trying to help some users. So I dunno if HP sells or not parts to users. On AliExpress you could find some parts. I bought few of them and all worked fine as expected.

For encryption, I'm pretty sure that these SSD are not encrypted, except if you choose to encrypt some files/folders on Windows (my bad, I understood you did it yourself).

So, for you, if you can't use your PC anymore and want to get back your datas from your SSD, there is only 2 solutions:

1. you install it in another PC and you check if it works or not. Then, if you could get back your datas or not.

2. if you haven't any other PC to test your NVME, you can buy an external support to plug it into an USB port. I know there are some manufacturers who sell those kinds of products. ASUS with its "RoG Strix AORION" is a sample. It's a like a little box. You install your NVME in it and plug it into USB-C port. I guess there are some other product with USB-A port which will be better for most of PC without USB-C port but also, lower.

I think there is no other solution.

Regards

HP Recommended

Huffer and others thanks for reply

the laptop has this spec [  HP 250 G5 Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz 8GB 256GB ] and i have the serial number and product number so i can just buy a replacement motherboard and it should work as it did before? thanks very much for help ill give it a try but just looked at the list and dont know which model i have apart from the above aforementioned spec , how do i find out sorry for all these questions but dont want to buy wrong board 

HP Recommended

The only other thing I need to know is does it have touchscreen and which video chip does it have; dedicated or UMA? The video is not that important as UMA can be replaced with dedicated

HP Recommended

its just a regular laptop, not touchscreen and it doesnt have nvidia or amd graphics ...thanks for your help i appreciate it

HP Recommended

Intel Core i7-6500U processor 858579-601

This is a used, but tested board sold by a high ranked Chinese seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-HP-250-G5-15-AY-Motherboard-LA-D704P-858581-601-I5-6200U-858579-601-I...

You would have to add in a CMOS battery but could reuse the one on your existing board or they are used in hearing aids so sold at drug stores or from amazon for a couple pounds. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

hi..thankyou for the help , i didnt expect a used board to cost so much to be honest the laptops wouldnt be worth that even with a working board  [ altho i do realise most stuff like cpu and ram are on these boards ] but i really appreciate your help and i reckon ill just put it to one side and keep a look out on ali and ebay for hopefully a cheaper board in the coming months ...just hope i can get my stuff off the ssd using a m.2 to usb or if not i guess ill have to maybe end up forking out for that board ...like i said really appreciate your help 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.