Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I would like to get a link to the complete repair manual if possible also.

I have 4 gb of memory can i upgrade this also?

Thanks in advance for help!

cpuz screens CPUZ.PNG

CPUZ2.PNG

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry I can not see the images. Probably you are looking for this manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have HP DV6-2155dx.

Intel Core i3-330M 2.13Ghz

4GB Elpida RAM

500GB 7200rpm Hard drive

I see a long list of AMD and Intel processors in the manual/guide link (pdf manual) for this thread.

Are those all compatible with my HP DV6-2155DX motherboard?

Is there a website/page where I can find specs on the motherboards from HP?

I am considering Intel Core i7-2820QM for my motherboard, is it compatible with my motherboard?

It is hard to find help for this laptop model.

I would like to think it is because this is a great laptop with minimal problems.

Thank you HP.

HP Recommended

I have DV6-2155dx. Currently, my cpu is Intel Core i3 330M 2.13Ghz. What other Intel or AMD processor models are compatible with my mother board? FYI, Motherboard manufacturer = HP   Model = 3658 (CPU)    chipset Model = Havendale / Clarkdale Host Bridge   Southbridge model = HM55     CPU Socket = rPGA 989

I would appreciate any help that I can get from you.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@technolow wrote:

I have HP DV6-2155dx.

Intel Core i3-330M 2.13Ghz

4GB Elpida RAM

500GB 7200rpm Hard drive

I see a long list of AMD and Intel processors in the manual/guide link (pdf manual) for this thread.

Are those all compatible with my HP DV6-2155DX motherboard?

Is there a website/page where I can find specs on the motherboards from HP?

I am considering Intel Core i7-2820QM for my motherboard, is it compatible with my motherboard?

It is hard to find help for this laptop model.

I would like to think it is because this is a great laptop with minimal problems.

Thank you HP.

Hi,

That manual is for a different Dv6 series (Sandy Bridge - Dv6-6000). The laptop has a shared graphics Intel chip so it might not be possible to upgrade to Core i7-720/820QM but should be possible to upgrade up to Core i5-580M as it takes 35W (use the same fan/heat sink) as the original CPU. The RAM can be upgraded up to 8GB of DDR3 - 1066MHz memory. 1333MHz DDR3 modules might work too but will downclock to 1066Mhz so no need to buy them anyway.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

It is great to finally get some inputs from someone. You mentioned the i5 should be compatible. Is that a firm answer or are you just assuming? Is that the cap for this motherboard? Sorry, I do not mean to offend your suggestion. I just simply want to get the maximum upgradable processor. Thanks,

HP Recommended

@technolow wrote:

It is great to finally get some inputs from someone.

You mentioned the i5 should be compatible.

Is that a firm answer or are you just assuming?

Is that the cap for this motherboard?

Sorry, I do not mean to offend your suggestion. I just simply want to get the maximum upgradable processor.

Thanks,

You have got the same chipset like me but a shared graphics chip. I have a dedicated nVidia chip and I'm able to upgrade to Core i7-840QM definitely and perhaps even the extreme version Core i7-920 or 940XM might be also working. However, your laptop doesn't have a dedicated chip so I can't tell you if any of the i7 processors will work because they use more power (45W) and it needs more powerful fan or even a different heat sink. Your laptop use a single fan for both components (cpu and vga) and there might be the problem. The fan might not be as powerful as it should be to cool down a Core i7 cpu and the Intel shared graphics. That Core i5 chip use the same voltage so I believe it will definitely work but can't say anything sure about the Core i7 processors as they use more power. The BIOS is also different for UMA boards than for discrete ones and that makes it even harder to determine possible cpu upgrade options.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

I see.

I just recently upgraded to--
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
8GB Corsair RAM
Laptop performance has been awesome so far.
However, my processor is still the same and it feels like it is not getting maximum benefit from upgrades.
There is mix to no information available about the motherboard and compatible cpus.
I am not sure what TDP capacity means for my mobo has as you know my current processor is 35W.
I see the chipset is HM55 and I see following compatible processor from intel website.

It is surprising as my Core i3-330M is not listed but is obviously compatible.
Compatible Processors
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Processor (6M Cache, 1.60 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-820QM Processor (8M Cache, 1.73 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-840QM Processor (8M Cache, 1.86 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-920XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-940XM Processor Extreme Edition (8M Cache, 2.13 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (3M Cache, 2.53 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-620LM Processor (4M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-620M Processor (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-620UM Processor (4M Cache, 1.06 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-640LM Processor (4M Cache, 2.13 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
Intel® Celeron® Processor P4500 (2M Cache, 1.86 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-520UM Processor (3M Cache, 1.06 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-640UM Processor (4M Cache, 1.20 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-620LE Processor (4M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-620UE Processor (4M Cache, 1.06 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-520E Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-610E Processor (4M Cache, 2.53 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i3-330E Processor (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz)
Intel® Celeron® Processor P4505 (2M Cache, 1.86 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Processor (6M cache, 1.73 GHz)
Intel® Celeron® Processor U3400 (2M Cache, 1.06 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-540UM Processor (3M Cache, 1.20 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-580M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-560M Processor (3M Cache, 2.66 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-660LM Processor (4M Cache, 2.26 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-680UM Processor (4M Cache, 1.46 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-560UM Processor (3M Cache, 1.33 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-640M Processor (4M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i5-470UM Processor (3M Cache, 1.33 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i3-380UM Processor (3M Cache, 1.33 GHz)
Intel® Pentium® Processor U5600 (3M Cache, 1.33 GHz)
Intel® Celeron® Processor U3600 (2M Cache, 1.20 GHz)
Intel® Pentium® Processor P6200 (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz)
Intel® Pentium® Processor P6300 (3M Cache, 2.27 GHz)
Intel® Celeron® Processor P4600 (2M Cache, 2.00 GHz)

HP Recommended
Can someone tell me, if the processor fits the motherboard (physically) then it means that it will work??

All the processor about are compatible with HM55 chipset.

Does it mean that I should be able to install all of them on my motherboard??

I have onboard graphics and some of those processors do not support onboard graphics.
HP Recommended

Hello technolow.  I understand you're wondering about upgrading your processor.

Just because the CPU fits into the socket or is supported by the chipset does not mean that the CPU will work on that motherboard.  Often times manufacturers will limit which CPUs will work in their products due to power and thermal concerns.   

What CPU are you considering upgrading from and to?

What notebook do you own?  This document can show you how to identify the notebook by the product number.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.