Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15 bw0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i want to put 512GB M.2 SSD in my Hp 15 bw0xx laptop. is that supported? And Nvme ssd is supported in hp15 bw0xx?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook as shown in your screenshot, is missing the hardware to install a SATA M.2 SSD.

it will be a lot easier and cheaper for you to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

HP 15 Laptop PC (AMD)* Model numbers: 15-bw0xxHP 15g Laptop PC* Model numbers: 15g-bx0xxHP 15q Lapto...

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.

If your notebook has a M.2 slot, the slot supports SATA SSD's only, not NVMe.

I recommend you open up the notebook and confirm that there is a M.2 slot for a SATA SSD present, because I believe in that model series, if the notebook did not come with a M.2 SATA SSD from the factory, the slot is not present.

If you look at chapter 3, page 19, additional parts are used to add a M.2 slot to the motherboard.

(20) Solid-state drive board     924992-001
(21) Solid-state drive bracket  924981-001

HP Recommended

IMG_20211008_223148.jpg

IMG_20211008_231024.jpg

•   
HP Recommended

I think m.2 slot is not there. you said that "additional parts are used to add a M.2 slot to the motherboard." i dint understand that. can i add additional parts to add m.2 slot to motherboard? i think better option is to replace HDD with 512GB SATA SSD

HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook as shown in your screenshot, is missing the hardware to install a SATA M.2 SSD.

it will be a lot easier and cheaper for you to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

HP Recommended

ok... Can i put the hdd which came with PC while buying to caddy? i mean i will remove HDD from previous slot and put ssd there. and i will buy new caddy and put the same hdd to new caddy? 

HP Recommended

Hi:

A 2.5" SATA SSD will fit in the same caddy or place the hard drive came in.

Unless your PC has a removable DVD drive, where you can fit a caddy, you won't be able to use the 2.5" hard drive.

HP Recommended

My laptop has a removable dvd drive.

ok.. 

thank you for fast response❤️

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Check chapter 1 of the service manual for the thickness of the DVD caddy you would need to install.

I can't make sense of it.  It says the drive is 9.0mm fixed.

Fixed, serial ATA, 9.0-mm tray load

HP Recommended

DVD drive is removal. i had removed it while dismentling.... 

check this youtube video https://youtu.be/i2zLpN-bfk0 can i use m.2 ssd like this with adapter? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.