Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-an008nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, I would like to increase my memory and I would like to know what maximum frequency of memory I can put either stay in 2400 or then 2666 or 3200. I would like to switch to 2x16 GB, my memory modules are in 2400 and cl = 17. Is it possible to put memory modules or the number of the CL is smaller than cl=17. I took as an example "HyperX Impact SO-DIMM 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz CL14.
and above all is it worth it and that I will feel the difference. thanks in advance for the answer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed your notebook's Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor can run the memory at is capped at 2400 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Product Specifications

So any memory you install beyond 2400 MHz, will bridge to 2400 MHz.

You may want to buy the faster speed memory and use it in a newer notebook in the future.

That would be the only reason for buying the faster memory, such as DDR4-2666 or DDR4-3200.

The normal CL speed for DDR4-2400 memory is CL17 and I would not recommend buying memory that does not have the standard CL speed for its class.

I don't believe that your notebook is designed to run memory with a smaller CL speed than 17. 

You can not change any of the memory XMP profiles in the BIOS, so I would not take such a risk.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

The fastest speed your notebook's Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ processor can run the memory at is capped at 2400 MHz.

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Product Specifications

So any memory you install beyond 2400 MHz, will bridge to 2400 MHz.

You may want to buy the faster speed memory and use it in a newer notebook in the future.

That would be the only reason for buying the faster memory, such as DDR4-2666 or DDR4-3200.

The normal CL speed for DDR4-2400 memory is CL17 and I would not recommend buying memory that does not have the standard CL speed for its class.

I don't believe that your notebook is designed to run memory with a smaller CL speed than 17. 

You can not change any of the memory XMP profiles in the BIOS, so I would not take such a risk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.