Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion 17.3 A-8 chip 2014 8gb ram
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

installed new WD 1-TB hard drive comes back as not installed, should it see it right away ? or do I have to do something else. I thought it should see it and reinstall windows 10 of my USB I have used before. When I hit F2 a smaller windows of options comes up but had hard drive test and came back as not installed, I'm wondering if the hard drive is bad or is there another step to get my computer to see it? any help would be nice Thank You...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @jepprey

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Hard Drive not installed error could be due to a Hard Drive failure or an issue with the motherboard connectors. I'd suggest try re-seating the hard drive to see if that fixes the issue.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @jepprey

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Hard Drive not installed error could be due to a Hard Drive failure or an issue with the motherboard connectors. I'd suggest try re-seating the hard drive to see if that fixes the issue.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita. Thank you for the reply spot on the connector was bad. I couldn't find out anywhere. The f2 test will show HD installed w/o the OS installed. I bought a 2nd HD and installed it, watched Ytube vids, reseated HD, all before your reply, then started thinking how hard the conn. came off, also I forget to mention or didn't noticeTILL2nd new HD install test showed below HD:NOT INSTALLED, was SHORT DST: NOT INSTALLED, no idea, but the only thing else touched was the conn. , so borrowed 1 off an identical computer and BAM all f2 test passed, then it accepted the thumb drive OS and installed windows 10. Now I need to find a HD connector to the board for a Pavilion 17.3    17-e055nr  part#? R33/36/39 AND DDOR33HD020 AND FOX CONN  130916 ??? (Best Buy said the 1st#) THANK YOU Asmita!!!! ( Still have 1 computer down, need conn.)

HP Recommended

Hi @jepprey

Here's the part# 716179-001 but this is a Hard Drive Hardware Kit (includes hard drive bracket and hard drive connector cable). 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita Thank You so much, I will order that kit today..... HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

HP Recommended

@jepprey

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.