Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP envy 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering, before i exchange my laptop, is it normal for the fan to run all the time. I am running latest bios. brand new laptop with no dust isses. Its an amd ryzen 5 2500u mobile processor. any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

When the notebook is plugged into A/C power, the fan runs constantly unless you go into the BIOS and disable the 'Fan always on when on A/C power' setting.

When on battery power, the fan should only come on when there is a load placed on the processor/graphics, and at varying speeds depending on the load.

Do note that AMD platforms normally run hotter than Intel ones.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

When the notebook is plugged into A/C power, the fan runs constantly unless you go into the BIOS and disable the 'Fan always on when on A/C power' setting.

When on battery power, the fan should only come on when there is a load placed on the processor/graphics, and at varying speeds depending on the load.

Do note that AMD platforms normally run hotter than Intel ones.

HP Recommended

this did happen after updating my bios to the latest version. before it used to idle quit a bit. however even unplugged and on battery its still running the same im thinking its the amd cpu

HP Recommended

Did you read the BIOS release notes before updating it?

Sometimes the release notes introduce changes regarding the fan operation, amongst other things.

Otherwise I wouldn't know why updating the BIOS would cause the fan to run differently.

I never update the BIOS on notebook PC's unless my notebook is having a specific problem that is supposed to be fixed by the BIOS update.

I read too many situations where things were working just fine, and then someone updates the BIOS only because a new version came out, and it causes issues.

If you can revert to the older BIOS version, you may want to do that.

But that also may carry some risk too.

HP Recommended

how do you revert bios

HP Recommended

You would have to go to your specific model's support page, read the BIOS release notes for the current BIOS you installed and see if it indicates that you cannot go back to a previous version.

If it doesn't then you can install the previous version listed on the support page if one exists.

HP Recommended

I found where to revert bios on HPs website. I just dont know which previous version I had.  Some of the details do show something about thermal profiles. Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I would not know what BIOS version your notebook originally came with.

You're just going to have to 'go with your gut' and decide which version you want to try, that would best alleviate the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.