Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au074sa 15.6"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Since last week my laptop does not charge properly when connected to the cable. Sometimes I manage power flows when the laptop is shut off - but not even all the time. I am not sure what reason coudl be and any suggestion to solve this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Alessandra

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @aleincerti,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the laptop charging. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any recent software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

When you try to turn it on, do  you hear the fan running? Or do you get any beeping noises/blinking lights?

Have you tried connecting a different adapter?

Does the computer boot into the Windows?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black, 

you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue: 

(Click on the blue letters to get more details about each step) 

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage 

2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector 

3. Start computer using the battery only 

4. Check that the lid switch moves freely 

5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning. 

For more assistance, please follow this link: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

Keep me posted for further assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thanks for making the time to reply to my message.

Here are my responses:

Have you recently made any recent software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started? I downloaded Windows updates as requested by Windows

When you try to turn it on, do  you hear the fan running? yes

Or do you get any beeping noises/blinking lights? no

Have you tried connecting a different adapter? I don't have any other compatible one unfortunately

Does the computer boot into the Windows? yes the computer works well, no problem 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

I tried it but nothing has changed. The AC is plugged in, the power LED is on and white but no power is received.

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black, 

you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue: 

(Click on the blue letters to get more details about each step) 

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage no damage 

2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector checked

3. Start computer using the battery only done

4. Check that the lid switch moves freely not sure about this one

5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning. 

• If the battery does not accept the charge or the notebook does not turn on without the AC adapter, contact HP to order a replacement battery. the battery is fully charged after a night connected to the power and computer off. it's not a battery problem as far as i understand

• If the LEDs do not glow, and there are no other indicators of power being available to the computer, contact HP for technical assistance in troubleshooting a potential problem with the AC power connection or the system board. LED next to the AC wall outlet is on and white when the cord is plugged in and the computer is on (no power flowing). It becomes red when the computer is off and power flows

• If the LEDs blink, or the computer beeps, but it does not start, go to HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Bootn/a

• If the LEDs glow but the computer does not start on either battery or AC power, go to Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot. n/a

Is there anything else I should do?

Isn't there any option that the WS udates could have automatically selected to prevent power to flow until the battery is not fully discharged?

It's really hard to work with a laptop in this situation... and it's less than 1 year that I have got!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying all the steps suggested. Request you try a BIOS restore by doing a power reset and then trying to power on the computer while holding Win + B keys together. Click here for assistance.

If the issue persists, request you contact our phone support to check on any service options available for your computer. 

Let me know how it goes. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chimney, thanks for your time and advice. I was travelling and unable to do restore the BIOS until. I have followed the instructions available at the link you provided and nothing has changed.

When the laptop is on sleep, the power goes through. When it is on, no power is received.

Isn't there an option somewhere that sets up the battery this way? If something was broken, power should just not go through. But here the issue is different: the cable works, the baterry charges... but only when the laptop is on sleep.

Is it possible to receive a phone call from the HP support at all? I bought my laptop through Currys but their support service is not helpful at all (I contcated them and no response...).

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I have a fairly new HP Envy x360-15 and had the problem that the battery would not charge while plugged in and computer on. After reading several of the forum's responses, I found the solution to my problem. The problem was caused by a bent pin in the charger's charge end plug. I have another HP charger, plugged it in and all works well. I distinclty remember that I inadvertantly tried to plug my HP charger into another device and the force caused the pin to become bent. I will try to straighten the pin on my Envy charger.

HP Recommended

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.